From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'smart' search

Hi,

I just realized that the search (in the LabWindows/CVI Idea Exchange) is 'smart' - but not so smart to know about CVI...: when searching for EVENT_VAL_CHANGED it changes my search term to changed, which somehow is not so meaningful to me... yes, it provides the option 'search for EVENT_VAL_CHANGED instead', but at an extra time.

Why not reverse the order: it should provide my search results and offer 'search for change instead' as an option, it would be more fair in my opinion.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,055 Views)

I can't say I care that much either way or that I know how the NI forums search behaves, but looking at my experience with Google, the basic thought behind this is that you probably mistyped something (presumably based on statistics that say that 98% of people search for "X" and only 2% search for "similar to X") and so you're given the popular result as the default.

You could argue either side as valid and I would say the correct choice is probably highly dependent on the specific person doing the search and the specific context of the search.

(5,051 Views)

I agree with you that this (as almost everything) depends on the person Smiley Wink If one prefers to abuse the search field as a spell check then it is a good choice Smiley Happy

I also agree with you that I don't care that much, it was my feedback just in case...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,048 Views)

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. The search strings are spellchecked using a weighted dictionary specific to the forum context. When a user does a search, their original search is used as well as a spellchecked version. Depending on the outcomes of the two searches, the search results page displays either the results for the original string or the corrected one, i.e. if one search seems to have better results than the other -- similar to what tst mentioned.

Unfortunately, Lithium does not provide an option to users to enable or disable the search spellcheck in their preferences, so this is a forum-wide setting. I think this it would be a good enhancement though, and I am happy to raise this idea to Lithium.

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,036 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,027 Views)