cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Unable to perform requested action" banner appears while typing a message

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello again Lili,

I've now logged out and in again after setting my avatar, and typing another message. It still gives the red warning message, although less frequently than before. 

My first attempt to post this got an authentication failed message... Screencopy hopefully attached.

Rod

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(2,538 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rod42

Thanks for the screenshots. The error message "authentication failed" is what a user sees when they do something like open a bunch of tabs, come back to the community after the inactivity period passes, and attempt an action like creating a post.

Can you please be sure you have all tabs closed that may have community pages open? Then, try again.

I just checked your account and everything appeared as normal to me. This leads me to believe it may be specific to your browser / device. If so, you could attempt to clear your browser cache and cookies.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(2,530 Views)

Rod -- did you ever do what I asked above, close all tabs and try again?

Is anything from the error message you posted something you may be doing?

Do you have a log in link to the forums bookmarked?

Is this only occurring on your Amazon Fire or on other devices as well?

Have you tried clearing the cache on your device?

Do you see the error when you attempt to create a new topic, or only when posting replies?

Are you blocking cookies from being stored on your device?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I cannot reproduce it and therefore cannot troubleshoot it myself.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(2,483 Views)

Hi Lili,

[This message written on iPad]

Sorry for the delay in earlier reply. I did try closing all tabs. Also shut everything down and cleared all ni related data from the browser. not a full clear of the cache. (also did the same on the iPad.)

I didn't knowingly click any links, but the small screen means that I cant rule that out entirely. The screen did shift to landscape and I made sure it was back in portrait about a minute before I got the message. After about two minutes the message disappeared. All through this i continued to type. 

I have had an authentication message on the ipad, before, but nothing while composing THIS message. (Just checked, the first authentication failed message was on the iPad)

I've got a link to the LabVIEW forum, but it doesn't log me in as i needed to select the I log in link. I do have the password stored, so don't need to enter the log in details.

I've only seen the authentication messages in a reply, not in the first message of a thread.

Just checked the fire settings. cookies set to allowed, including third party. popups are blocked.

As this only seems to happen on the fire, perhaps it's not worth persuing further, as it doesn't seem to affect the ipad. I don't type much on the fire as it is a bit awkward, but it's a great device for viewing, and it only cost £40. I can check a pc when i'm back in the office.

Thanks for the rapid reply....Rod.

P.S. No strange mesages while i typed all of this message.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(2,475 Views)

Hello yet again Lili,

Final test for tonight. Using the Fire again. As a further test, I've now deleted tbe cache entirely. I went to the LavVIEW forum page, logged in, then went to the feedback forum. 

I think it might be the shift from landscape to portrait that does it as i just shifted landscape to portrait and got an authentication failed message... but i've tried again and can't reproduce it.

I did notice that the autosave messages only appear in landscape mode.

Rod.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(2,467 Views)

Thanks for the information, Rod. It seems odd that it would be related to how you're viewing the content. What is the web browser on the Amazon Fire?

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(2,462 Views)

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

Thanks for the information, Rod. It seems odd that it would be related to how you're viewing the content. What is the web browser on the Amazon Fire?

Hello Lili,

new day... The browser on the Fire is the standard one it cones with, "Silk". I'm on the version that the auto-updates have installed. 50.2.1.2661.89.10 (but I just looked and I can see that it has a later version of fire os waiting for me to install, so I may get the browser updated too)

Rod

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(2,455 Views)

I'm posting here because I can't seem to start a new topic anywhere on the forums that will actually show up in the boards, including in this board to ask what is going on.  Anyone else having this problem today, and any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(2,440 Views)

Rod42 wrote: new day... The browser on the Fire is the standard one it cones with, "Silk". I'm on the version that the auto-updates have installed. 50.2.1.2661.89.10 (but I just looked and I can see that it has a later version of fire os waiting for me to install, so I may get the browser updated too)

Silk and the Fire OS are not technically supported by this platform. It seems odd that you would be receiving the specific error you are recieving though, unless the device has some odd type of caching...

@stephencox wrote:

I'm posting here because I can't seem to start a new topic anywhere on the forums that will actually show up in the boards, including in this board to ask what is going on.  Anyone else having this problem today, and any suggestions?

Stephen  - I replied to your thread here.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(2,435 Views)

Hello Lili,

I think that we've reached the limit of what can be done on this one. As the Fire is a closed system, I can't delve into its innards, or try different a browser, so getting more information is probably not feasible. On that basis, and given that I'm seeing the message far less often, and that it doesn't actually prevent posting, I'm happy for this thread to be closed.

Whilst the Fire may not be "supported" it does in reality work quite well,  given the restrictions of its small screen, and on-screen keyboard. BTW, there wasn't a browser update with the OS update.

Thanks,

Rod.

Message 20 of 20
(2,422 Views)