cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

private message to ambiguous screen name

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

I am not sure if this is a bug and if anyone else faced this issue.

i was trying to reply to a private message i received yesterday. again, i was replying. so the screen name of the person who sent me the message was all i had.

when i drafted my reply and clicked 'send message', i get an error that the screen name is ambiguous as more than one user has the same screen name.

first: is it allowed for more than one use the same screen name?

second: when i selected the exact recepient from the list of available users with the same screen name, the message is never sent. i get back to the same page with the same error and the same list of possible receipients. as i was only replying, is there no way to identify which of the multiple users sent me the message in the first place? and why was it not sending the message even after i selected the correct recepient from the list?

did anyone face such an issue before? what should i do? 

Regards
Freelance_LV
TestAutomation Consultant
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(7,761 Views)

Where's the moo button!?  I had this happen to me a couple of months ago.  I ended up just giving up on it and never sent the pm.

I'm curious how multiple people can have the same sn as well.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(7,753 Views)

Hi,

Unfortunately this is a known bug with Search 1.0, but Lithium was able to fix this bug when we upgraded to Search 2.0 in the forums. As posted here, we've had to roll back to Search 1.0 due to a different bug. This new bug will be resolved after Tuesday, September 11. After this date, both bugs should no longer persist.

Thanks,

Jordan

Message 3 of 10
(7,738 Views)

Thank you for the response

Regards
Freelance_LV
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(7,728 Views)
Solution
Accepted by JordanG

Hello all,

The private messaging issue should be resolved. Please let me know if you experience difficulties sending private messages when you are prompted to select from multiple users.

Also to clarify the reason there are multiple users with the same alias...

Up until a few months ago we were mirroring posts to specific newsgroups over to the NI Discussion Forums. Over the years activity in newsgroups has drastically decreased, therefore we did away with the mirroring process. Because there was no authentication back when newsgroups were used heavily, a user could post to a newsgroup under a different alias for each post. In the NI database only one person can have one unique alias and there cannot be duplicates. The users who posted to the newsgroups do not exist in the NI database, however because they have contributed content to the forums we cannot simply delete those users as we will be deleting any content they contributed. Hence... multiple users with the same alias.

... clear as mud? 😉

Jordan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(7,691 Views)

well

thank you for the update. i shall get back if i face any more problems with the pm.

Regards
Freelance_LV
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(7,675 Views)

@JordanG wrote:

Hello all,

The private messaging issue should be resolved. Please let me know if you experience difficulties sending private messages when you are prompted to select from multiple users.

Also to clarify the reason there are multiple users with the same alias...

Up until a few months ago we were mirroring posts to specific newsgroups over to the NI Discussion Forums. Over the years activity in newsgroups has drastically decreased, therefore we did away with the mirroring process....

... clear as mud? 😉

Jordan

Mirroring was the stumbling block preventing edits of post or rather limtiing the edit time to a couple of minutes.

Can you now allow edits of posts such that we can go back and fix things?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(7,652 Views)

Hey Ben,

Since we're no longer mirroring over posts, I've increased edit time from 10 minutes to 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

Jordan

Message 8 of 10
(7,641 Views)

JordanG wrote:

Since we're no longer mirroring over posts, I've increased edit time from 10 minutes to 30 minutes.

Cool!

Now I need to remember to always quote relevant parts when commenting on a post, else I'll look like an idiot when the original post is edited beyond recognition. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(7,627 Views)

Not resolved yet. Try sending a message to bradSmiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(6,403 Views)