Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

non-English location with English language

Solved!
Go to solution

This is a kind of question/request, and not only for the Discussion boards, but for the entire NI.com site.

I am working in Germany, but my German is still very bad (shame on me!). Therefore, I use ni.com with location set to UK. In this way I get all the content in English. However, this brings some annoying consequences, like I see prices in the online shop in GBP instead of EUR, etc...

There are lots of websites where you can set English language even if the location is not UK/US (..), one example is amazon... Is this possible to change somewhere for NI.com too? If not, is this planned in the future so to decouple language and locations?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,582 Views)

Not sure about the main NI pages, but you can set the language for the forum here. I have not tried, though.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,562 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Not sure about the main NI pages, but you can set the language for the forum here. I have not tried, though.

Thanks, yes it keeps the forum English, but it would be nice to have English as second language also for all locations for ni.com (like Canada has English and French versions)...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,556 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Blokk

Hi Blokk,

That's a very good question.

As altenbach noted, the language settings for the Discussion Forums (just the page elements, we do not translate member-contributed posts) can be set manually.

I will look into whether there is a solution or any plans for the rest of the site that we can share here. Many elements of the site are driven by your selected location, but it is a very good point that this is not effective for visitors who do not (or would prefer not to Smiley Wink) speak the local language. I will let you know if there is a recommendation here.

Thanks,

Matt
NI Community Team
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,550 Views)

There are two more places for possible solutions:

• The OS has a languange and a location setting. I would think that if I would travel to Germany, the website would still be in english. What is your OS language setting?
  • In the advance setting of the chrome browser there is also a setting for language.

See if any of those would make a difference.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,545 Views)

As I see, the language of the site ni.com purely depends on the country set at the top. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,541 Views)

Hi Blokk,

I've found some additional details here.

This was something that we've looked into in the past and found that it was actually impacting a small percentage of our customers. It's not something that we have slated for the immediate future, but we will keep an eye on this use case and continue to consider it if it grows.

For your specific case, we recommend that you continue to use the English-UK setting. Here are some recommendations for a couple of items that are location-specific:

• For events, regardless of your location setting, http://www.ni.com/events/ allows you to browse for events in a specific region or country
  • For purchasing and pricing - this is driven by the location setting. The simplest option may be to perform your shopping in your preffered language and add all necessary items to your cart, and then switch the location to complete the purchase in the local currency with a local shipping address. If there are any issues or concerns you can always Contact Us.

I'm sorry that there is not an easy solution here, but if there are any specific use-case or problems that come up please let us know! We're happy to work through it.

Thanks,

Matt
NI Community Team
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,538 Views)

Yes, this not a major issue at all, and thanks for all the info!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,536 Views)