Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

goto page....button

@altenbach wrote:

Sorry about polluting the existing thread with a somewhat different issue. Yes, I have it set to 30 (i.e. 3x the default) posts per topic because that way I can more quickly browse over old long threads. The site should recognize if there is a mismatch between post number and page number and ignore the page number in these cases. Currently, it ignores the post number and blindly uses the page number instead, often leading to a blank page for me.

I just found an existing idea for this with Lithium and added my comments. It's a poor user experience and I hope to see them improve this.

In case anyone wasn't aware, to link directly to a post within a topic, you can click on the Options menu found at the top right of any post, then click on Highlight. This will highlight the post and the URL will change. You can then share this URL with another user.

highlight.png

You could also right click, copy link from the Message # found at the bottom left of a post, under the author's information.

messagenumber.png

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(2,831 Views)

Thanks.

Yes, I always click on the post number below the icon to get a direct post link. The problem is with users that blindly copy the URL while looking at a thread.

I usually don't have problems finding my own links, so the rest of the world needs to follow those rules. Not going to happen! 😄

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(2,826 Views)

@X. wrote:

Moreover, my browser's address bar is not long enough for me to so this simply repeatedly.

Buy a bigger screen? I can say that in all cases where I wanted to this (don't remember specifics), changing the page number in the URL was good enough (and I would probably prefer it to having to find a page control at a specific point in the page). The length of the URL isn't a problem on my browser - http://forums.ni.com/t5/BreakPoint/bd-p/BreakPoint/page/36

http://forums.ni.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/post-type/message/user-id/27860/page/3

As for the sorting, like I said, that applies to search results. I can't say I see the need to sort arbitrary lists like threads in a board or a user's post history. If you *really* want this data, Lithium has a REST API with a SQL-like query langauge which you can probably use to filter and sort things as you want them.

(2,816 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

The site should recognize if there is a mismatch between post number and page number and ignore the page number in these cases. Currently, it ignores the post number and blindly uses the page number instead, often leading to a blank page for me.

What I typically do in those cases is click the next thread link and then the previous thread link, which brings me to the beginning of the original thread. You can probably also change the URL to remove the page number, but I guess I'm too lazy for that.

And yes, I highly agree with the recommendation to link to the specific reply, but I'm not surprised that people often just copy the URL of the current page.

(2,815 Views)

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

Sorry about polluting the existing thread with a somewhat different issue. Yes, I have it set to 30 (i.e. 3x the default) posts per topic because that way I can more quickly browse over old long threads. The site should recognize if there is a mismatch between post number and page number and ignore the page number in these cases. Currently, it ignores the post number and blindly uses the page number instead, often leading to a blank page for me.

I just found an existing idea for this with Lithium and added my comments. It's a poor user experience and I hope to see them improve this.

I heard from Lithium today that this will be addressed in an upcoming release.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(2,697 Views)