Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the Forum Login not work as a user would Expect?

No doubt this request is posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find it on a quick search. Three things:

1) This must be one of the few forums that log you out when you have finished and close the browser. Why? The only other site that does that, for me, is my online banking and so it should. The NI community site is not a my bank and the overzealous login requirements is not needed.

2) According to Chrome auto fill is disabled. Again, why? Even my online banking keeps my login name.

3) When I receive a notification that a message, or update has been posted to Community site I am subscribed to, I click on the link and am taken to the page. Even though the site shows me as logged in, I am not. When I click the Edit document link, for example, I am prompted to login (which is not too bad). After logging in I am taken to the community home page. I have to then either navigate back to the original page (because the back button does not work), or go back to the e-mail and click on the link. This is a lot of hoops to jump through to simply read a comment, that may not be of much interest.

I have a professional (and personal) interest in visiting the community boards, but this poorly implemented login process has been around for way too long, wasting time and patience. The above is my version of a flame/vent. Anyone have this on their 'todo list' for fixing, and if so when?

David C
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(7,316 Views)

There's a general problem with logins between the forums and the Community. NI tried to fix it this past weekend and failed miserably (that's just my opinion).

Message 2 of 18
(7,300 Views)

Right now (and for quite some time!) the community pages are a real PITA.  Trying to link the two did not bring the nice behavior of the Forums to the Community, but rather brought that stench over here!

https://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/11597?tstart=0

Flame on.  I find the community useless.

Click on link, or revisit old address from browser.

Hey nice, I am logged in. 

Click on another link.

Darn, now I am logged out.

Now I am at the Community Home page, where the heck was I?

Smiley Mad

Actually not mad, just indifferent.  I figure in a few months I'll hear that it was fixed and maybe I'll go back there.

Message 3 of 18
(7,297 Views)

@smercurio_fc wrote:

There's a general problem with logins between the forums and the Community. NI tried to fix it this past weekend and failed miserably (that's just my opinion).

Not just your oppinion... somethingSmiley Indifferent went horribly wrong!  I belive it will be fixed soon and the OP will be happySmiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(7,276 Views)

@Darin.K wrote:

Flame on.  I find the community useless.

Thanks Darin.

You have been saving me a lot of typing lately. Smiley Happy

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(7,257 Views)

It seems I can post without logging in. Cool. Sorry I couldn't delete.

Update: I lied. Tried to access another forum and needed to login.

David C
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(7,243 Views)

It seems to be working for me today.  I followed an old link from the browser history, arrived logged in, was able to navigate and post a reply all without logging in.  Hopefully something was fixed, if nothing was fixed then I expect it to break again just when I get my hopes up.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(7,208 Views)
Update: remind me again why I bothered. Back to old behavior, although now it seems much less consistent. Sympathy for those losing spaces in their forum aliases just to link with that train wreck.
Message 8 of 18
(7,194 Views)

@Darin.K wrote:
Update: remind me again why I bothered.

Forever the optimist?

(Also the name of a song by Patrick O'Hearn.)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(7,182 Views)

@Darin.K wrote:
Update: remind me again why I bothered. Back to old behavior, although now it seems much less consistent. Sympathy for those losing spaces in their forum aliases just to link with that train wreck.

But, I look good with a thong

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(7,148 Views)