From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

While replying to a post, it would be nice to get some indication that thread has new replies

It would be nice to know if the thread I'm replying to has gotten a new reply in the time I have spent typing out my own reply. For an example, take this thread on the LV forum where a simple question was asked and several people posted replies in a 5 minute period.  Most of these replies were pretty similar.  If there was some indicator that someone had already posted a reply to this question, some of the latecomers may have been able to save their time.

Message 1 of 8
(5,850 Views)

+1

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,847 Views)

Hi everyone,

The ability to notify a user when they are typing a reply of any new incoming replies is a feature that Lithium (our forum platform vendor) has accepted onto their roadmap. I have asked for an update on this and will let you know if I receive more information.

Thanks for the feedback!

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,829 Views)

snip.jpg

This works almost every time.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 4 of 8
(5,735 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

snip.jpg

I do this as well, but I don't think many others do. It would be nice to have an improved interface to fix this problem rather than remind everyone to use this workaround.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,709 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

snip.jpg

I for one had never noticed that link.  Granted, looking at my post count, I haven't exactly been here very long.  My work around has always been to type my reply in a new tab, and right before submitting I go back to the thread's tab and refresh. Bit of a hassle, but knowing about that link at least streamlines the process a bit.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,703 Views)

I guess if you had some indication that X users are looking at the thread and that user W, Y and Z are typing a message, that would address your concerns?

You know, like these fedgling apps called Facebook or Skype introduced way back then?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,540 Views)

@X. wrote:

I guess if you had some indication that X users are looking at the thread and that user W, Y and Z are typing a message, that would address your concerns?

You know, like these fedgling apps called Facebook or Skype introduced way back then?

That might be a little bit too intense for this forum. I would probably end up just deleting my response and moving on if I saw Altenbach typing... Smiley Tongue

It would be ideal if the Reply page didn't hide the whole thread (except for the post you're replying to). Instead, it could show the thread above and update the thread as new posts come in. That being said, I expect the forum is set up a certain way that won't allow this and/or this functionality isn't worth NI spending more money.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,533 Views)