From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do the segments in forum icons represent?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

Everyones name has a little three segmented icon next to it (unless you have a 10k/15k/20k shield).

The variation in colours in the three segments seem to change between people.

I assume that the darker the colour the more of something the user has done, but what do the three segments represent?

Post count, solutions, threads started? something like that maybe?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(7,242 Views)

See here, for example

Message 2 of 9
(7,235 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Phil_

See here:http://forums.ni.com/t5/Feedback-on-NI-Discussion-Forums/Reputation-Sync/td-p/1867191/highlight/true

They've been working on updates for awhile, but it hasn't happened yet due to various complications.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 3 of 9
(7,234 Views)

Phil_ wrote:

I assume that the darker the colour the more of something the user has done...

That's the best explanation I've ever heard. Smiley Happy

Spoiler
"What do the segments in forum icons represent?" I can't even remember! But the longer you hang around, the more you'll disassociate with Kudos/rank and more with the avatar/name. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
(7,170 Views)

@JackDunaway wrote:

Phil_ wrote:

Spoiler
"What do the segments in forum icons represent?" I can't even remember! But the longer you hang around, the more you'll disassociate with Kudos/rank and more with the avatar/name. Smiley Happy

Re: Spoiler

Yes but those first impresions can make a big difference.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(7,154 Views)

As a first step, they could change the tip strip when hovering over the color bar.

Currently, the tip strip repeats the rank with the exact wording of the text right below it (trusted Enthusiast, Knight of NI, etc.) which is completely redundant!

It is OK to leave it "as is" for the ranks without bars (e.g. Knights), but the tip strip for the other ranks could be more informative, and could give actual numbers for each bar. (e.g. "Engagement: 5, Creation: 3, Pages Read: 8").

Of course I imagine it will still change to the "five bar" version as described in the above link at one point, so improving the tip strip could be done once this is implemented.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(7,137 Views)

@Ben wrote:

@JackDunaway wrote:

Phil_ wrote:

Spoiler

Re: Spoiler

Yes but those first impresions can make a big difference.

Ben

No kidding!  I couldn't belive @rolfk was asking that!Smiley Surprised

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(7,134 Views)

Jeff·Þ·Bohrer wrote:

No kidding!  I couldn't belive RolfK was asking that!Smiley Surprised

Glad I wasn't the only one.

Though, it wasn't as bad as when I thought Altenbach was asking a very basic question this summer...

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(7,128 Views)

Jeff·Þ·Bohrer wrote:

No kidding!  I couldn't belive RolfK was asking that!Smiley Surprised

It only took me a month, but avatar hint taken.

🙂

Message 9 of 9
(6,976 Views)