cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What ddooeess tthhiiss aalllll mean?

Solved!
Go to solution

@Hooovahh wrote:

I just did a search, turns out I'm 6 months older than LabVIEW.  Telnet is not something I did much of.

Who said anything about Telnet -- we're talking dialup modems, AT commands and the like! Smiley Very Happy

First product I ever tested with LV (in 1986-1987) was a 2400 bps lease-line modem that came with a 4-channel multiplexer. That baby could give up to 4 people 600 bps of bandwidth each to call their very own.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 31 of 39
(3,509 Views)

mikeporter wrote:

Who said anything about Telnet -- we're talking dialup modems, AT commands and the like! Smiley Very Happy

Dial up what?  Like rotary dial phone?

(just kidding I had dial up when I was living at home)  (but I've never owned a land line)

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 39
(3,506 Views)

Actually back then modems had a setting (ATP) that told it to simulate dial pulses for use on phone lines that were rotary only -- used to have to pay extra for DTMF. Believe it or not, you also had to pay extra for "long-distance" calls.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 39
(3,502 Views)

Hooovahh wrote:

A whole day of posting wasted, I could be at 1500 posts by now...okay probably not.

I know.  I actually had to try to do work today.  On a Friday nevertheless.  What's up with that?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 39
(3,499 Views)

At my parents house one day

ME: Go ahead and call your friend from the phone.

SON: UHM....

ME: Why do you think they say "Dial the phone?"

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 39
(3,487 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:

Be honest! Who is too young to know what local echo is?

Mike...

I am too young to know, but I still know 🙂

Message 36 of 39
(3,485 Views)

@JordanG wrote:

Unfortunately those characters were replaced with question marks when this database change occurred and was therefore acting as a wildcard.

Thanks,

Jordan

.* in wrongg place in regex? :smileyvery-happy:

OH MAN! My regex guess was actually pretty close

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 39
(3,483 Views)
My first job was with the company that invented the rotary dial system back in the 30s. Still made the switches while I was there working on all digital replacement.
0 Kudos
Message 38 of 39
(3,469 Views)

We've changed topics already so I'll tell my story, its a quick one.

So my grandparents still have a old school rotary dial phone.  They have no answering machine, and no other phone.  Just the off-white, yellow-ish one from the 70s or 60s.  They said it was when the phone company first let them buy a phone instead of renting one.  So they bought it to save money.  My grandpa claims they still get a discount on their bill for having a rotary dial phone.  Oh as a bonus it is still on a party line with one other family too.

Message 39 of 39
(3,465 Views)