Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We want a module which shows us threads we participated in which has new content

Lili, we have asked this many times before, but here's a chance to do so again, and it gives me the opportunity to have four consecutive threads 😉 .

As regulars, it's often important for us to know if there's new activity in threads we participated in and today ("today" being the last decade or so) there's no option to see this in a convenient way.

We can go into each board and look through it for recent threads we replied in, but there are many boards, so that's impractical.

We can look at our tracker, but that only shows threads we participated in recently and doesn't help if someone replies to a threads from 8 weeks or 8 years ago.

We can use subscriptions, but that then requires working with both email and the forums (for instance, reading a thread in the forums does not mark as read in the email client) and it can flood us with emails.

What we need is very simple - a page which shows a list of threads from all the forums which we participated and have unread content. Click the thread title or the number in the New column and you're taken to the oldest unread post. This could probably be a widget in the main page or even part of the main page where the full list it shown.

I think this is the most desirable feature for regular users and has been for years. I'm sure that Lithium have heard this request before, but I don't think we ever actually heard back on this request.

(5,169 Views)

Hi Yair,

Out-of-the-box, Lithium provides a notification feed which shows you 1) when a topic/idea you have created/participated in/subscribed to receives replies, 2) when a user gives you kudos, and 3) when you reach a new rank. The feed shows you the first 25 notifications, with a view more button at the bottom, allowing you to go back to view 1,000 notifications. 

http://forums.ni.com/t5/notificationfeed/page

When the notification feed is added to the forum navigation, you would see an icon and number like the private message icon.

I have a feeling you would want a view similar to the Unread Discussions page, or even a standard board page. But, the Notification Feed is what is available now without any customization or use of API. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,156 Views)

As mentioned before, the mobile version of my post history has a sigificantly better sorting, where threads with new activity (=bold) seems to bubble to near the top of the list more consistently. The order is very different to the full version of the forum.

For me, the notification feed is pretty useless, because it lists mostly kudos activity. I would like to see posting activities in threads I have participated, but these are missing completely.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,149 Views)

@altenbach wrote:
For me, the notification feed is pretty useless, because it lists mostly kudos activity. I would like to see posting activities in threads I have participated, but these are missing completely.

I can imagine your notification feed is difficult to sift through, considering that you have almost as many kudos as you have posts. Cat Surprised The notification feed as is may be more useful to the average user. I think it's a fair request to have some filtering options.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(5,140 Views)

It's not just altenbach who's flooded with kudos. As he points out, that appears to be the only content in the feed, so besides being a good way to release endorphins and get a nice "everybody loves you" feeling, it doesn't seem useful. If it did have actual content it might be more useful, but even so probably not enough, because I want something which will clearly show unread content.

As you surmised, a standard board page or unread page is probably the best option (again, my inclination is toward a board page). Or, as altenbach demonstrates from the behavior of the mobile version, maybe a sorting option on the tracker which sorts by recent activity. I don't have experience with the mobile version, but if it works, it means Lithium already has code for this in the product.

(5,137 Views)

Definitely understand. The notification feed is still a good option for the casual or new user, and it does drive a behavior we want  to see more of -- quality content that receives kudos.

Again, not ideal for several reasons including for those with high quantity, quality content. But, I like to get all of the options out in the open though in case someone else stumbles upon this and can make use of such a page. Cat Happy

Back to the original request in this topic -- open to hear more feedback from others.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(5,131 Views)

I'm not sure what you are asking?

My daily digest often looks like this 

Discussion Forums Community: Daily Digest

To
  • dopplertech@yahoo.com

Yes I filter "webmaster@ni.com" to a folder I clear often on my yahoo account.  I get daily digests, and solutions infomation.  Kudos Info I gather from my profile page.

My Daily Digest informs me of all activity on threads I have subscribed to or responded to.  Unless I mark the thread from the thread options 

I choose "Subscribe" when I want to watch a thread before responding and "Unsubscribe" when the thread went into the toilet.

The Profile view gives me even greater info about recient activity.   The Mobile app profile view is a nice adjutent to that for recient activity on older posts!

So, what is the issue?  What content actions do you want notification on?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,116 Views)

Hi Lily, I would try experimenting the notification feed a little.

What do you intend with "When the notification feed is added to the forum navigation"? Do I have to setup some option in my settings? 'cause I didn't fine anything related to that feed.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(5,098 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

None. I don't want notifications. What I want is to log in when I choose to and at that point in time see exactly the threads which have new activity. I can then go through those and if I don't have time or decide to mark a post as unread so I can look at it again later, I know that it will be still be on that list.

I don't want an email for each reply. I don't want a daily digest. I don't want two systems which are unsynchronized (which is what emails effectively create). I want a single place I can go to to see the current state.

This use case applies to someone who visits the forums all the time, but could also be used as a replacement for the daily digest (which I assume you use because single replies would create too much noise in your email client).

@tst wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

None. I don't want notifications. What I want is to log in when I choose to and at that point in time see exactly the threads which have new activity. I can then go through those and if I don't have time or decide to mark a post as unread so I can look at it again later, I know that it will be still be on that list.

I don't want an email for each reply. I don't want a daily digest. I don't want two systems which are unsynchronized (which is what emails effectively create). I want a single place I can go to to see the current state.

That does make it more clear.  I've used my profile page as my homepage for a long time.  If disscusions fall off the top of my recient activity list I do depend on the daily digest e-mail to give me a "Heads-up"  about longer term activity.  That can be annoying to grab information from seperate sources.  I'd rarther see search fixed first but, can see your idea is helpful

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(5,079 Views)