Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tagging

Just a quick note: we can now allow "tag phrases" so that a tag CAN have a space within it.  However, since we've generated so many tags with underscores (thanks Ben!) I'm hesitant to change the way that this works.  I know that on an individual basis you can change your own tag delimiter. I'll check if I can control the default at the community level and perhaps we could change the default.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(3,878 Views)

Oops, I misunderstood the tag delimiter feature - you can change what delimiter shows in a cloud if you don't like to use a space.  I can't set this at a community level. 

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(3,877 Views)

@JackDunaway wrote:

Ben, I'm getting confused here pretty quickly, it seems like we're starting to intermingle the features/capabilities of your homebrew tagging tool with the features/capabilities of the forum tagging system.

For the record, these statements apply to the forum tagging system and the forum search system leveraging these tags:

1. I'm with Ray.R in that space delimited tags seem like a bad idea. People search for "blue screen of death" and not "blue_screen_of_death" and not "BlueScreenOfDeath". The tag should look exactly like the search term: "blue screen of death" should be 1 tag, not 4. If you go to Google or Yahoo and search for "blue_screen_of_death", it does not automagically treat underscores as spaces. I'm surprised the search engine employed by this website ignores underscores - it bucks the conditioning I have received from other search engines.
  2. If I search for "forum improvement ideas" without and then with the quotes, I get 44 and 41 results respectively. Then, if I search "forum_improvement_ideas", I get 41 results. Which is strange, because I have had over 100 posts tagged as forum_improvement_ideas for a few weeks.
  3. I'm completely against having any type of a "Merge Tags" feature. I think tags should be completely public access for navigating, so there should be no need to to have ownership of a tag in order to leverage the benefit of the tag.
  4. I assume most people are going to "navigate tags" by simply performing a search, not by clicking through tags. That being said, I think I lean towards making tags "search friendly" rather than "hierarchy friendly"
  5. New concept: tags should have some notion of "synonyms". For example, "blue screen of death" should be functionally equivalent to "BSOD" when searching, and they should return the exact same result set
  6. Old concept: searching for a term should be functionally equivalent to it's plural term, and the search engine is broke in this respect. The search "roles" yields 55 results and "role" yields 462 results.

You are correct.

I started development of that tool while tagging was still restrcted so I do tend to mix the two in my head.

I'll defer on the rest of your points since they seem to be targeted at how the search engine works and expected usage.

Tag on!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 13 of 20
(3,869 Views)

@JackDunaway wrote:

Ben, I'm getting confused here pretty quickly, it seems like we're starting to intermingle the features/capabilities of your homebrew tagging tool with the features/capabilities of the forum tagging system.

For the record, these statements apply to the forum tagging system and the forum search system leveraging these tags:

1. I'm with Ray.R in that space delimited tags seem like a bad idea. People search for "blue screen of death" and not "blue_screen_of_death" and not "BlueScreenOfDeath". The tag should look exactly like the search term: "blue screen of death" should be 1 tag, not 4. If you go to Google or Yahoo and search for "blue_screen_of_death", it does not automagically treat underscores as spaces. I'm surprised the search engine employed by this website ignores underscores - it bucks the conditioning I have received from other search engines.
  2. If I search for "forum improvement ideas" without and then with the quotes, I get 44 and 41 results respectively. Then, if I search "forum_improvement_ideas", I get 41 results. Which is strange, because I have had over 100 posts tagged as forum_improvement_ideas for a few weeks.
  3. I'm completely against having any type of a "Merge Tags" feature. I think tags should be completely public access for navigating, so there should be no need to to have ownership of a tag in order to leverage the benefit of the tag.
  4. I assume most people are going to "navigate tags" by simply performing a search, not by clicking through tags. That being said, I think I lean towards making tags "search friendly" rather than "hierarchy friendly"
  5. New concept: tags should have some notion of "synonyms". For example, "blue screen of death" should be functionally equivalent to "BSOD" when searching, and they should return the exact same result set
  6. Old concept: searching for a term should be functionally equivalent to it's plural term, and the search engine is broke in this respect. The search "roles" yields 55 results and "role" yields 462 results.

Thank Jack,

You said it better than I.

Sorry Ben,

I'm with jack on this one 😉

I'll have to investigate writing tags with spaces.  But I prefer short tags anyway..

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(3,861 Views)

@Ray.R wrote:

Sorry Ben,

I'm with jack on this one 😉

I'll have to investigate writing tags with spaces.  But I prefer short tags anyway..

That's OK. Given enough time, I'll link your short ones into my long ones and we all get what we want.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(3,860 Views)

good plan 😉

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(3,853 Views)
  1. Allow tagging of comments on the Idea Exchange.
  2. (Related, keep in consideration Kudos of comments on the Idea Exchange.)
  3. Finally, Tagging Ideas can only be accomplished by clicking on the Idea and tagging it in it's own thread. I would like to be able to tag from the Summary View (e.g., Hot Ideas, Top Ideas, New Ideas listings)
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(3,781 Views)

I was about to create another post saying you can't tag a message while you're writing it, but instead the tag must be added after it's posted. And then I found the location to add tags on the Post message form, appended as an afterthought to the right-hand side of the screen.

I think it would encourage tagging if this were in a more prominent and coherent location, such as between the Subject and Body, or between the Body and Attachments, or very close to the "Post" button, etc...

17991iB62447858739137B

Message 18 of 20
(3,778 Views)

For those of you that use tagging and have your numbers turned on...

You may notice a difference in the community cloud. I deleted all of my "LabVIEW" tags. I had about 350 instances of that tag and as a result the font scaling was thrown way out of wack (Note: font sclaing really should be logrithmic) so nothing could jump out at you. With the redundant tag "labVIEW" removed, tags with a count of 30 get highlighted.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(3,408 Views)

Ok, stupid question but I can't find the answer anywhere. I am new to using the community forums. I am not new to LabVIEW. I am looking through the personalization stuff for my profile, avatar, tags, etc...  What is a tag? I noticed some people have logos or images at the bottom of their posts, are those like signatures? how do you post an image to a signature. For example, I am a CLD, I would like that image file to be included in my signature. No clue how to do that. I saw a help file that talked about linking your facebook avatar image, but the option to do that is not available to me or I am just too dense to find it. Help.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(725 Views)