Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping Spam

@Wolfgang wrote:

Today the CVI forum received more than a dozen SPAM posts, no end in sight - all by the same user. I notified the operator of the first one but then I decided to be too lazy. NI is not even commenting on the discussion here Smiley Frustrated ..

It is sufficient to report one and simply say that there are more by the same user. Long ago I suggested that there should be a "report user" on each user page instead. Maybe there should be a direct menu entry or button "report spammer". These are so obvious that no explanation is needed. After a certain user has been marked by a few active users (e.g. "active" and above), it could automatically hide all his posts until a moderator either clears or deletes them. (Users who misuse that mechanism can be excluded and will no longer be able to participate in the reporting).

Jordan commented briefly here on the lastest spam attack.

0 Kudos
Message 51 of 59
(1,709 Views)

@johnsold wrote:

I think that it would be bad to make new users wait. One of the great things about these Forums is that responses are often very quick. 

Perhaps more appropriate would be to limit new users to one or two new threads per day. And maybe a limit on how many responses to other threads (not originated by the new user) the new user could post as well. That would frustrate the current spammer(s) without keeping a new user from getting some help promptly.

It is not clear how useful it would be to "frustrate" the spammer. He might just start creating more new user accounts, making the cleanup a little more difficult. As mentioned elsewhere, the forum could just keep him busy by keeping the posts visible to only him. As long as he thinks he is posting successfully, he's not creating new accounts or spamming elsewhere. The posts could be automatically deleted after a few hours. 😄

Message 52 of 59
(1,706 Views)

It's now frustrating ME.

I want to post a response to the Idea "Edit probe name in W-a-t-c-h Window" and get the error when trying to post that the subject contains the word "W-a-t-c-h" (preferably without the weird formatting) which is not permitted in this community.

Great.  How do I change the subject of a comment to an already-published topic?

0 Kudos
Message 53 of 59
(1,671 Views)

Why not give moderation rights to specific NI employees in different locations around the world who can be notified when a user reports a post, then take out the spam while at work, doing this will remove the time barrier where spammers from India/ Russia etc have a 5+ hour window before the good old USA wakes up and gets to work - Mike

Message 54 of 59
(1,641 Views)

Amazing that the forum was running so well until recently, seeing how little protection there obviously was/is present. 

The SPAM-attacks I witnessed the last few months were all very unsophisticated (looking at "Post" content).

You would think opening new identical topics, with identical title + content, by the same user would be blocked by default.

I would however agree that the forum should be updated to be prepared for more sophisticated attacks.

Message 55 of 59
(1,587 Views)

This seems to be a day where the responsible forum admin has a day-off or "important meetings" so (s)he cannot do it's job on deleting SPAM messages in a proper way…

Come on NI-Lithium: do you really cannot setup filters for those ever-the-same SPAM messages?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 56 of 59
(1,420 Views)

Saturday morning had this SPAM issue as well.  And here I thought they had it mostly taken care of...

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 57 of 59
(1,416 Views)

Another set of spam posts these days: a block of 8-10 posts in CVI board yesterday, another one today. In both cases only the CVI board was hit.

NI isn't the only one aimed to: googling the phone number in the message revealed a plethora of forums attached with more or less the same content in the last few days. Little pleasure in this, though...

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(1,279 Views)

All you need to do is immediately report the spam. 

If the moderators can pounce on a spammer quickly, it lowers the incentive to see this forum as a viable target. Spam needs some permancence to be profiltable and spammers are very aware of profits, even though any spam run is very low cost.

(Litihium has apparently implemented some additional checks such that most of the obvious spammers are blocked very quickly and automatically. Only very few get through these days, but fighting spammers is dealing with a moving target that constantly adapts their tactics to get around the new measures.)

Forums users are also encouraged to inspect the profile of new users and report any suspicious profiles. I noticed a recent uptick in new profiles that never post anything, but plaster offtopic spam links on their profile page (cleaning services, debt relief, etc.). Since links are by default hidden, the hired minions are apparently trained to immediately change the privacy options to make the link on their profile visible. Typical SEO tactics that are of no benefit to ni.com.

0 Kudos
Message 59 of 59
(1,262 Views)