Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam All over the place

Laura,

Stop it , Ban it. You dont want a spam enthusiast. There is a possibility that it can happen.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,904 Views)

Well, Laura will clean it all up. 😉

All these (31) identical posts were literally posted within minutes.

User registered: 9:29pm, 31 postings : 9:36pm ... 9:57pm.

I am surprised that the forum does not have automatic measures in place that would prevent such repetitive postings by a new user. Other forums have better defenses but that lithium lets these through.

Some ideas:

• New users cannot post in more than a few threads in the first hour/day, etc..
  • The server should keep a MD5 of all messages posted over a certain time frame (e.g. 1 hour). A second instance of a post with identical text would not succeed.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,902 Views)
And one thing i remember is getting a annoying pink message stating i have posted 2 messages within 90 seconds but that was long back. Something on these lines should also help.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,900 Views)

I agree, it does seem that we had extra spam activity this weekend.  I think I got everything reported to me so if you see something else just report it to the moderator so that I see it.

There definitely are safe guards against spam.  I didn't look too closely at the 31 messages, they may have changed the message enough to get around the checks.  I will look closer in the future.  I do employ user bans when it's warranted like the example that muks linked to.

Thanks,

Laura

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,879 Views)

altenbach wrote: 

• New users cannot post in more than a few threads in the first hour/day, etc..
  • The server should keep a MD5 of all messages posted over a certain time frame (e.g. 1 hour). A second instance of a post with identical text would not succeed.

This would actually kill 2 birds with one stone.

It would also prevent those new users that join, then post the same question 3 or 4 times hoping it will get answered faster.

Cory K
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,876 Views)