Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spaces! Yes, we like them

I made no secret that the thorn in my alias was a thorn in my side.  Huzza I was able to re-insert the space!

Thank you? or is this a temporary reprieve?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,105 Views)

astronomical! 😄

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,100 Views)

Hey Jeff,

This is a temporary allowance while we are working to correct the login-logout behavior in the NI Community. I will update the initial Reputation Sync post when we go live with the single sign on and alias changes.

Jordan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,077 Views)

Off the top of my head I can think of two mechanisms I would investigate before we ban spaces.

1. Link the two communities via email address instead of alias.

2.  My own non-statistical reckoning is that 99% of the people with a space in their forum alias have a community alias which simply removes the space.  Make this a rule and simply assume that 'Aristos Queue' = 'AristosQueue' and the like.  Notify the remaining 1% that something needs to be done. 

I want to find the alternate universe, the current 'linking' or 'syncing' is choosing the worst of both worlds.  (And for the record, the source of trouble seems to be the community, and not the forums).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,072 Views)

I don't know if any of this makes sense.

My alias on NI Community is "Bill Meier" and includes the space.

My alias on the discussion forums is "Ravens Fan" and also includes the space.  I haven't seen the space disappear or get replaced with another character at all like Jeff said happened to him.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,065 Views)

Ravens Fan a écrit :

My alias on the discussion forums is "Ravens Fan" and also includes the space.  I haven't seen the space disappear or get replaced with another character at all like Jeff said happened to him.

Smiley Surprised

space check.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,030 Views)

@Ravens Fan wrote:

I was PM'd

"

Hello,

As recently stated here, we are making multiple changes in order to sync your Forum profile with your Community profile. One of those changes includes removing spaces from aliases. You are being contacted because your current alias is being affected by this change. Please go here (My Settings >> Personal Profile >> Personal Information >> link to NI Profile) to edit your alias to have NO SPACES by February 14, 2012 11:00 PM CST. A suggestion would be to replace the current <space> with an underscore (_). If your alias has not been edited by this date, it will be automatically updated by National Instruments and you will be notified of the change.

Jordan 

NI Forum Moderator"

Since I have PMs enabled-  I don't know how the forums notified members who have not enabled PM's
I didn't want my ailais to  look like some C programmer's variable name and chose the GC,Thorn,GC since they were much less likely to look like a txt variable name.
The first attempt at Implementing reputation sync was notably disruptive of the forums (Talk about a bad day!)  so apparently the space conversion was also revolked.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(6,021 Views)

I had disabled private messaging some time ago to avoid getting messages from people who spammed looking for direct personal help, or from rude people who didn't appreciate when I gave them a direct, blunt response to a stupid question in the forums.

I know in the past, Laura would just send an e-mail to the address I use for my NI login in the few instances where she needed to contact me offline.  I figured whenever the change will occur, I'll either get a message that way, or things will get changed automatically and then I deal with changing the alias to how I want it to appear.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,011 Views)

@Ravens Fan wrote:

I had disabled private messaging some time ago to avoid getting messages from people who spammed looking for direct personal help, or from rude people who didn't appreciate when I gave them a direct, blunt response to a stupid question in the forums.

I have a macro for those

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(6,008 Views)