Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search subscription not working correctly.

I have a search subscription configured to search for yair OR tst -"tst wrote", which ideally should return mentions of me where people don't quote me directly. The idea is to get an email if I'm mentioned in a thread I haven't participated in.

My problem is that a considerable portion of the emails I get from this search are about posts which don't match the query. Here are the examples I still have in my trash:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Static-Com-Port-Assignment/m-p/3309523#M968845

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Trace-Web-method-to-retrieve-the-trace-data/m-p/3309777#M968936

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Error-85-The-input-string-does-not-contain-data-in-the-expected/m-p...

http://forums.ni.com/t5/media/gallerypage/image-id/184036i519FA7CAE5BC2DB0

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Pilot-a-power-supply/m-p/3301501

I haven't been able to find a common reason for why it sends these false positives. You can also see that one of them is an image in a gallery and that they're not common (~1 email a week on average), so it's not super critical. I might even unsubscribe, since I haven't seen the results I'm looking for. Another minor point - the emails seem to be sent hours after the actual messages are posted, but I'm guessing this is being run as a scheduled job or something similar.

(4,331 Views)

Makes me wonder if the search is trying to be smart.  ie tst=test

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(4,329 Views)

That was my initial guess, but then I would expect to see many more hits.

(4,325 Views)

To slightly paraphrase what a wise person has recently told me

instead of searching for your name, "you could just go over the boards and read all of the old threads..."  Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 19
(4,319 Views)

@tst wrote:

That was my initial guess, but then I would expect to see many more hits.

Also, some of the false results don't even mention the word "test".

I'm looking into this and will let you know what I find out.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(4,312 Views)

Lithium Support has recommended you use AND NOT instead of the minus operator.

yair OR tst AND NOT "tst wrote"

Can you please try this and report back?

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(4,044 Views)

I set it now. The only way to see if it has an effect is if it fails, so hopefully there will be no more replies on this thread.

(4,024 Views)

Nope, didn't work. I just got a batch of seven emails (sent around 9:40 GMT), which don't match the intended result. They were from two threads I participated in (which is basically the opposite of what was needed, but is probably an improvement over random threads), but they don't seem to have any real consistency. Some observations:

1. They only started a few hours after I changed the settings.
  2. In one of the threads I got an email for each reply from point X forward. In the other I got an email for one reply, but not for the one following it.
  3. They are at least consistent in that they both don't do what I want.
  4. The link in the email doesn't actually work. For example, one email has this link, which should take me here, but instead resolves to this link, which takes me to the top of the last page of the thread. Note that I didn't get an email for the reply following that reply.
  5. The emails are sent in a batch rather than when the reply is posted, presumably because it's a scheduled job of some sort. I can live with that.
  6. The emails are sent in a weird order. The expected order would be ascending post time, but they were sent in a jumbled order, where this reply, which is the earliest reply in the emails, actually came in almost last, which would have caused me to think it's reverse chronological order, but then I saw that the last email was for the reply immediately following it. To be fair, this could also have something to do with all the emails being sent together and when the mail server recieves/processes them, although I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

For the moment, I'll leave this new query in place, but I expect I will just get another batch of emails when the job runs again.

(4,015 Views)

Thanks for the feedback. I've reported this back to Lithium Support for them to continue investigating.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(4,005 Views)

We have another update from Lithium Support. They state it is best if you try using an older syntax and refrain from quoting a phrase.

You can use parentheses to scope search results as appropriate So, the search query you would have to use is more of the form:

yair OR tst NOT (tst AND wrote)

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(3,893 Views)