cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reply doesn't show

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

this morning I got a bit frustrated... I replied to a post (this one), the success message (you can see your post here) was displayed, but when I followed the link only the original post showed up, my reply was missing.

So I thought I did something wrong and replied two more times, with the same result...

Is there some filter that does not allow too many links or what could have been the problem?

Here is my reply:

Hi,

maybe you can replace your textbox with a listbox, see here

You might also consider two different colors because some users might suffer from a red-green color blindness

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(5,516 Views)

Now, four hours later, all my posts show up... strange...  Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(5,515 Views)

Hi Wolfgang,

It appears the spam system automatically marked your post as spam, and it was in quarantine until a moderator could approve it. I assume the issue was with the format of the wikipedia link you shared. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(5,499 Views)

Thanks for the insight.

May I suggest to add a respective note to the Discussion Forums Guidelines which links are considered suspicious... For me Wikipedia is a reliable web site...

It really makes you feel stupid if you see your post appearing in the forum but seconds later it is gone. At least an email or some other notification would be more than welcome.

Message 4 of 17
(5,494 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wolfgang

Thanks for the suggestion, Wolfgang. There is some information that we can share to help users reduce issues with their posts being marked as spam -- we can update the Posting Basics and Tips document with this. However, we can't share information on the exact URL syntaxes that may be blocked as most of this is kept secret in order to prevent spammers from adjusting their posts to not be flagged by the system.

Also, there is an outstanding request with Lithium to provide a functionality that alerts users to when their post has been put into the spam quarantine. I have pinged them for an update on the possibility of this.

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~
Message 5 of 17
(5,488 Views)

Thanks, this sounds good.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(5,489 Views)

Why is that not gated by post count?

If a user's made it to 20 posts and haven't been flagged as a spammer by then, chances are pretty high they're not a spammer?

Bypass the spam queueing for users with more than x-number of posts?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(5,487 Views)

@SnowMule wrote:

Why is that not gated by post count?

If a user's made it to 20 posts and haven't been flagged as a spammer by then, chances are pretty high they're not a spammer?

Bypass the spam queueing for users with more than x-number of posts?

I have brought up this same concern to Lithium before. The spam system should be able to recognize the stats of the user posting, and know if this user has been around for x-years and has x-posts, it's safe to say they are not spamming. No solid update from Lithium yet as to what is on their backlog for the spam system.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(5,485 Views)

Hello Lily, yesterday I posted a reply in a forum thread and I was warned that it will be published only after approval. My post however had no link inside, only text so I wonder if I felt into this issue too or what else could have happened. And if the spam engine marked it I would like to know what could be rising it's attention!

As a side note, I was given a link to a page where contents waiting for approval should be present, but no item was listed there.

Finally,  I didn't suceed to find such a link later when I was monitoring the forum and my post still was not published: is it present in some profile page?

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(5,443 Views)

@RobertoBozzolo wrote:

And if the spam engine marked it I would like to know what could be rising it's attention!

Everybody who has been around for a while can agree that the antispam measures have significantly improved. While we had daily runs of hundreds of spam posts, the frequency has dropped to nearly zero. As a side effect there are rare cases of false positives, such as in your case.

Detecting spam is dealing with a fast moving target and, as I understand it, the filters auto-tune. So once a suspicious post is approved, the filters are automatically adjusted accordingly.

Looking at your post, it is a mystery why it got trapped. One problem is that Lithiium runs forums for many big companies (Verizon, Lenovo, etc. ) and the filters are thus not very aware ot special NI techical terms found in your post (CVI2009, DAQmx). In combination with several terms sometimes found in spam (definitely, perrfectly, constantly, multiple) might have pushed it slightly over the edge.

Maybe Lili can ask Litium to investigate and possibly do some manual adjustments.

Others have mentioned that posts of seasoned members with many gold bars in their badge (such as you!) should get a significantly higher threshold. Hopefully that will be implemented at one point. (So far the spammers have not tried hacking existing accounts and there are probably good mechanisms in place to prevent that).

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(5,430 Views)