cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private message

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

it's the first time it happened to me, so may be some more experienced user can comment on it:

Today I received a private message from someone I have never heard of (I did receive private messages in the past, but from NI or users I knew from the forum). Also, it was completely unrelated to my forum activities (which are mostly CVI). But what made me wonder even more is that the identical message was posted in the LabVIEW forum, here

I have some doubts that the user inadvertently sent the message to me as I have no activities in the LabVIEW forum, so my user name is not listed there anywhere... Sure, I will ignore this message and the user, but somehow it appears odd...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,834 Views)

I occasionally receive random messages from strangers who have never posted on the forum but seek help with LabVIEW.  I just direct them to the proper forum.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,776 Views)

Pro tip: either ignore them or create a macro (in the My Settings area. It can be inserted into the text from the selection box near the quote button) with the redirection text. Either way, you will need to spend minimal effort on these.

Here's my macro for this:

Search for it yourself

You should not send people private messages for this. It is considered impolite and wastes people's time.

First search the forums and other places to see if you can find existing information. If you can't, then you can post a question to the LabVIEW board.

(6,753 Views)

Thank you to both of you!

May be I wasn't clear enough, it is not that I don't know what to do with the PM but that I was surprised that I got a LabVIEW related email although I have no contributions on the LabVIEW forum and thus assumed to be 'invisible' there.

Well, it's not so important, and all we can do is wildcatting Smiley Wink.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,738 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Wolfgang

I hope you're not assuming that the people writing these PMs are using any kind of logic. I think that usually they just send them out fairly randomly (probably with a deviation towards the people who post where they should have posted, but not always).

(6,735 Views)

Hm yes, probably you're right - you have sufficient experience to be more realistic Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,733 Views)

The last person that PMed me for LabVIEW help, I told them that I make a point to avoid their questions.  I was a little on the annoyed side that day.  I also told them to post their problem in the forum.  But for the most part I usually just ignore teh PMs.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,719 Views)