Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please extend the time allowed for post edits

The time we are allowed to edit our own posts is very short. Would it be possible to extend it to e.g.. an hour or three?

I frequently spot errors the next time I visit the thread (which often turns out to be 10-60 minutes after posting it), and miss the edit window. Asking the moderator to do it is tedious and I do not want to do that just to fix a typo or rephrase a sentence.

Message 1 of 6
(6,052 Views)

There is, of course, a practicality to this. What if someone responds to the message as it was posted? If you then go and change what you said, the reply potentially no longer makes sense. Perhaps edits should not be allowed once a reply has occurred?

<side comment not picking on anybody or making any allusions or accusations, and since I can't edit this after 10 minutes, don't hold me accountable 10 years from now, as I will simply claim I didn't inhale>

On another thought, it woud be great to change history. It's a politician's dream to be able to go back and change what was said to fit the current dogma.

Message 2 of 6
(6,044 Views)

Sure, it could be locked if someone has replied, as long as the edit time prior to that is extended I would be happy.

Alternatively you could allow edits after a reply, but automatically mark any changes to the original post as "edited after inital response", with the previous text still shown/available.  The benefit of such a solution would be that if people misunderstand the original post you can edit it so that this does not reoccur. That is less likely to succeed if you have to clarify things in a comment instead.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,039 Views)

@smercurio_fc wrote:

There is, of course, a practicality to this. What if someone responds to the message as it was posted? If you then go and change what you said, the reply potentially no longer makes sense. Perhaps edits should not be allowed once a reply has occurred?

That's why you should always quote relevant parts when replying. 😄 The OP will not be able to edit the quotes!

(quoting also has other benefits. Sometimes you see a witty (or not) single sentence reply in a thread with hundreds of posts and there is no way to tell the context)

I agree that the edit time should be a bit longer, maybe one hour or so.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,031 Views)

Mads, thanks for the feedback.

Currently, Smercurio is correct in why the edit time is limited. I think 3 hours would be too much edit time, but we will definitely consider extending the current limit. You offer valid suggestions and there is a current idea in the Lithosphere similar to what has been suggested in this thread where a post would be un-editable if the reply button has been selected. I voted for it despite the comments from Lithium. Feel free to vote as well. 

Jordan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,010 Views)

I'd be happy if it was extended to as little as 15 minutes.  Sometimes 10 is just not enough if you realize you made a mistake and need to rework an example VI.  An hour is probably far longer than necessary.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,994 Views)