Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifications Number glitch?

Solved!
Go to solution

As I am trying to get accustomed to the new layout, I explored the (new to me) "Notifications" field that appears when clicking on one's profile avatar.

I was puzzled by the number 99+ (I suppose it is too costly to count over 99 in this cloudy day and age), so I clicked on the notifications link and got to a page with lots of threads. I checked a couple, which did not seem to have anything new in them, and noticed that my notifications count had suddenly dropped to 0:

Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 16.09.52.png

When I click on the Notifications link, I still get to the same old page with tons of bold thread titles, suggesting that there are a lot of things I am missing... not.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 34
(4,217 Views)

The notifications feed has existed for quite some time on this platform, but it was not readily accessible. That's why you saw 99+ notifications.

I believe the confusion here is that bold titles typically indicate an unread topic, but on this page I believe that's just how the title is formatted. We'll have to get the design team to take a look at that.

In the notifications feed, a new notification is indicated by the blue marker.

newvsold.png

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 34
(4,205 Views)

OK, but how do you explain the transition from 99+ to 0?

I am not sure I understand what blue marker you are talking about...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 34
(4,202 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author X.

The notification is considered cleared when you view it. You don't have to click through or click it.

This is the blue bar:

IdeaExchangeCommentBox.png

We can consider another type of formatting if this is difficult to notice.

~~~~~~~~~
Message 4 of 34
(4,199 Views)

Gotcha.

We just need a tip strip or context help pop-up to document these unfamiliar features...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 34
(4,196 Views)

Being already used to the notification page before this update, I find the highlight for new content more evident than before.

I wonder if this method could be ported to the forum pages as well: a coloured bar to evidence threads with unread posts (which could also be an active link to jump to the first unread one).

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community

I don't find these notifications particularly useful. In particular, the fact that ALL these highlights disappear as soon as ONE of the threads is checked defeats the purpose of the highlights (of other threads).

Secondly, the link associated with the notification appears to send you to the FIRST post in the thread, when it obviously refers to the fact that there is a post at the END of the thread.

Speaking of which, since we are talking about responsive interface, what about a "Go to first unread post", which most other forums I am familiar with offer to their users?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 34
(4,167 Views)

@X. wrote:

I don't find these notifications particularly useful. In particular, the fact that ALL these highlights disappear as soon as ONE of the threads is checked defeats the purpose of the highlights (of other threads).

I believe the highlights disappear once you open the notifications page, not based on if you look at one.  This is halfway consistent with the way Facebook and Twitter handle their notifications pages as well.  When you open the notifications pages in those apps, the number indicator saying you have new notifications goes away, but the unchecked notifications remain highlighted.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 34
(4,165 Views)

X. wrote: Speaking of which, since we are talking about responsive interface, what about a "Go to first unread post", which most other forums I am familiar with offer to their users?

This is a user chosen setting. Go to My Settings > Preferences > Linear Layout > Just to first unread post in a topic

elset191 wrote:
I believe the highlights disappear once you open the notifications page, not based on if you look at one.

Correct. As I mentioned earlier, the notification is considered cleared when you view the feed. You don't have to click the actual notification itself or click to read the topic.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 34
(4,157 Views)

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

X. wrote: Speaking of which, since we are talking about responsive interface, what about a "Go to first unread post", which most other forums I am familiar with offer to their users?

This is a user chosen setting. Go to My Settings > Preferences > Linear Layout > Just to first unread post in a topic

Like this?

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 11.32.59.png

That obviously doesn't work (for me).

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 34
(4,149 Views)