cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New layout - nice but.....

Solved!
Go to solution

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

Intaris -- this isn't related to the new ni.com or layout and I don't see that this changed occurred in the last two versions of the Lithium release (according to the release notes). I agree though that this behavior is odd since it should scope to the area you're in. I'll see what Lithium thinks about this.

I am not completely sure but I thought I used this button a short while before the change in the layout and it worked as expected (Only the Idea Exchange items were marked as read).  I can "remember" ("" becomes a requirement withincreasing age) this because I used the "view all" for the first time only a few weeks ago (I think it was yourself who pointed out a new trick to an old dog!).

0 Kudos
Message 41 of 55
(3,986 Views)

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

tst -- I believe we've found the cause of the issue. To verify we're seeing the same thing -- when you see the page "refresh", are you seeing the location at the top right of the header change from "choose your country" to your actual country?

I'm also still wondering though if you have your cache/cookies blocked for the site.

The first load shows US, then the second load is correct, so that seems like a reasonable analysis.

No block on cache or cookies. I can log in without needing to provide details and you can see in my last image that most of the resources were loaded from the cache on the first page load.

(3,966 Views)

Here is another not just irritating but properly infuriating feature with the new layout:

Jing Video of the problem

In essence, when trying to select a piece of text in an on-going reply to a thread (illustrated here with a fake answer to the Idea Exchange), the selection process results in the browser to scroll down to the bottom, revealing the humongous and useless footer, and forcing the user to scroll back to the original text (and repeat).

The worse is that even when the intent is not to select any text but simply edit the text by inserting the cursor into an existing text, the jump can occur.

The post might need to be a bit larger than a few sentences for the problem to occur, but I have this reproducibly occuring for detailed answers such as the one I made up for the purpose of this video.

Please fix.

Tested on MacOS 10.11.13, Safari 9.0.3

0 Kudos
Message 43 of 55
(3,961 Views)

X. -- thanks for providing the video; it definitely helps. I don't have access to a Mac right now, and I'm unable to reproduce this on Windows in Firefox 43x and Chrome. It may just be a Mac / Safari issue. Do you see the same in other browsers on Mac?  Also, can you point me to a live post that you made in which you saw the issue occur?

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 44 of 55
(3,932 Views)

I don't think it is specific to a particular thread. I am experiencing this problem no matter which thread I am answering to, BUT the key thing is that the thread needs to be long enough so that the "new post" box pushes the remainder of the thread upwards. The bottom line is that between the footer and the remainder of the thread above it, the box is in between somewhere and that appers to fool the browser. I'll try that on Chrome on Windows (on a Mac!) whenever I have a chance.

But if you read all us loud and clear, just get rid of the footer. It is utterly useless.

0 Kudos
Message 45 of 55
(3,926 Views)

While this issue is scrolling you to the footer, it may not be the actual footer causing the issue. It may be the CSS for the forums, the TinyMCE text editor (which was recently updated), the Lithium platform (which was also recently updated), or a browser issue. But rest assured, the feedback about the footer size has been relayed to the ni.com Customer Experience team.

Let me know what you experience in other browsers, and I'll continue investigating this.

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 46 of 55
(3,917 Views)

Still on topic I guess, why the different font sizes here (LabVIEW IE):

Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 17.24.42.png

The labels font is a size 9...

Interestingly, as I was selecting it to paste it an editor for font size examination, I had the surprise to discover some numbers:

Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 17.26.13.png

White on white. Clever choice if there was any....

Message 47 of 55
(3,906 Views)

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

Instead of zooming, have you tried to enlarge the text size in My Settings > Preferences > Display? See the same post attached with the browser sized at 1211x935, text size set to X-Large.

I had the same problem of having to zoom so much that it cuts off the sides and I have to scroll to read everything. Increasing my text size to x-large seems to have solved that problem. 

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 48 of 55
(3,858 Views)

@X. wrote:

Still on topic I guess, why the different font sizes here (LabVIEW IE):

The labels font is a size 9...

The font issue for the labels component was reported in another thread here. The team is aware and it's on the backlog to be fixed.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 49 of 55
(3,840 Views)

@tst wrote:

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

tst -- I believe we've found the cause of the issue. To verify we're seeing the same thing -- when you see the page "refresh", are you seeing the location at the top right of the header change from "choose your country" to your actual country?

I'm also still wondering though if you have your cache/cookies blocked for the site.

The first load shows US, then the second load is correct, so that seems like a reasonable analysis.

No block on cache or cookies. I can log in without needing to provide details and you can see in my last image that most of the resources were loaded from the cache on the first page load.

Lili, any updates on the page reload issue? This is still happening after the last update and can be quite annoying.

(3,782 Views)