New forum layout?

@JordanG wrote:

Jordan (female Smiley Wink)

Proof! 😄

0 Kudos
Message 81 of 102
(2,038 Views)

Hi everyone.

I have read through the comments on this thread, and I can tell you that I will use them as we evaluate our next updates for ni.com. I have been the project lead for the sitewide changes and wanted to give you a little background on this project.

1. Two of the main goals for this project were to get site-wide consistency and put a framework in place that we could easily update and make changes when necessary. The foundation is now in place, and now we can start to evaluate some of the changes that we still need to make. Also, we were not able to touch every application that runs our website, we hit about 78% of them, but as was noted there are still ones out there that we have to address.

2.  We've been working on this project for awhile- requirements started around 2010 - yes I know that's old and then some iterations have been made. We're dealing with old applications, and VERY many so it was difficult to ensure that we encapsulated all the use cases and requirements. We would've/could've/should've reviewed our original requirements in more detail. TOUCHÉ! Point taken.

3. The majority of our visitors (about 85%) visit more than one site section during their visit - we have to think about the entire user experience and ensure that they don't have to relearn each page layout, or functions over and over. It looks however, like we erred on the side of consistency a little too much. I will take at look specifically at the fixed width issue and font sizing to see what we can do about those. I am currently pulling all of our recent data for browsers and resolutions to ensure that we are optimizing the site for the majority. We did do testing with all current browsers that we support, but I do not think we did extensive testing on different resolutions. In the future, we want to move to a more responsive design but I had to have the foundation in place first. Without it, I would have still been creating one off experiences on ni.com.

4. With all the passion here Smiley Wink, I  would love to have any of you who are interested , sign up for our user research panel. This would get you out in front of changes that we are making to ni.com and would get us making changes that are beneficial to what you are trying to accomplish. Ideally, in the future, we won't have to do such big bang changes, and can just make small incremental changes, that don't interfere with what you are trying to accomplish. Here is the link for the user research panel if you are interested.

Message 82 of 102
(1,991 Views)

Hello Maureen,

thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I suppose everyone here understands and appreciates your efforts for making ni.com more user friendly but you're right: you've been too rigid in your struggle for consistency Smiley Wink ; I don't really understand where consistency implies fixed-width pages, but I'm not a web developer so I don't assume I can understand technical details that guided you that way.

But please note that in several points this rigidity has unwanted effects: an additional example is the community page, where the search field and help control overlap, at least in Italian localization) as you can see in this image:

Screenshot 2014-03-28 08.51.12.jpg

(...it appears a little squeezed due to forum width limits... Smiley Wink )

The overlap effect can be due to italian texts longer than expected or to my long username: in both cases a little more room would have helped.

Where you should be more rapid in my opinion is in giving a feedback to user suggestions: take a look for example at this thread. I posted this suggestion on oct, 2012, updated in dec, 2013 and never got any feedback. I understand now that you were refactoring the whole site and my note would be addressed and solved in this process, but a simple "we're taking care of it" would be enough to let me know you noted it.

As per your item #4, I didn't know such a panel exist at all Smiley Surprised . I have joined it now, as I am willing to collaborate in making it better and better.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community

Hi Robert,

Thanks for reporting that issue.  Our technical team will be looking into it.

Regards,

Hassan Atassi
Senior Group Manager, Digital Support
0 Kudos
Message 84 of 102
(1,944 Views)

Here's a bad web format issue.  First saw it on someone else's profile, but saw it on several including mine.

The Private Message section overruns the columns to the right of it.

Another question.  I see a section on AutoSaved Drafts.  Is that new?  I don't remember seeing it before.  I started deleting some, but then realized they went on forever.  I kept hitting next until I got to the end.  (dozen clicks?). And saw I had autosaved drafts from nearly 4 years ago.  How can I get rid of them easily?

0 Kudos
Message 85 of 102
(1,886 Views)

RavensFan ha scritto:

Another question.  I see a section on AutoSaved Drafts.  Is that new?  I don't remember seeing it before.  I started deleting some, but then realized they went on forever.  I kept hitting next until I got to the end.  (dozen clicks?). And saw I had autosaved drafts from nearly 4 years ago.  How can I get rid of them easily?

Moreover, they are almost useless: either they throw an exception error or they issue a "not able to modify this post any more" message.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community

@Maureen wrote:

Hi everyone.

I have read through the comments on this thread, and I can tell you that I will use them as we evaluate our next updates for ni.com. I have been the project lead for the sitewide changes and wanted to give you a little background on this project.

So in essence, we have no plans to scramble an emergency backup plan to revert the site to the former usability level, but whenever if and maybe next time if I am still in charge we will look into it. But thanks for the feedback, because, as I have learned in grad school, naysaying the customer is not good politics, while sweet talking and bee-s-ing has never hurt any business.

Great!

Wrong!

And so predictable!

I mean, what do you expect from a company that claims that software is the instrument but does not have any user-friendly bug reporting and tracking system in place, for instance? And please, if you think I am getting carried away, enroll in beta testing, that gets even better...

As they say, never ask to visit the kitchen of a great restaurant, let alone a bad one...

0 Kudos
Message 87 of 102
(1,840 Views)

Hi all,

Just to echo what Maureen stated above and to set expectations, we are actively working internally to address the issues you have raised. Please be aware that we will need to go through our normal testing procedures once we have decided how to proceed, but I assure you we'll test as quickly as we can. I will update you as soon as I have more inormation.

Thanks for your patience 🙂

J

Message 88 of 102
(1,778 Views)
Since I have some doubts it is part of the "normal" testing process, please find somebody with an iPhone and check the full site (not mobile). Checking the mobile site would be nice, but my experience is that it is hazardous to my iPhone's health and I start using language normally reserved for driving.
0 Kudos
Message 89 of 102
(1,763 Views)

Not holding my breath, but the simple solution to the layout was spelled out in several posts, so I am not sure what prevents this from being applied.

There is one positive side to the new layout though and it is illustrated by my personal profile (as of now):

ScreenHunter_001.jpg

Indeed, absurdly long topic titles are wrapped around over several lines and...become much more legible than in a full-screen view, pre-shrinkage time.

I am not sure why the further occurrences of the topic are abbreviated as "Re: Please...", but that too might be considered a good solution (to a problem that I created for the purpose of demonstration ad absurdum).

0 Kudos
Message 90 of 102
(1,760 Views)