Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New NI web page interface

Solved!
Go to solution

As a temporary solution to the annoying header, you can configure your ad blocker (or other similar HTML modifiers like Greasemonkey) to filter out the header. For me, on Adblock Plus I added the custom rule: ni.com#nav

The header is still there, but this causes the content of the header (that's the element called "nav") not to appear and the header doesn't follow you when you scroll dpwn.

(4,401 Views)

I actually use Stylish for Firefox for preventing rogue headers and footers:

@-moz-document domain("ni.com")
{
    .navbar-fixed-top {
        position: absolute !important;
    }
}

I actually have this Stylish script full of websites that fix (position: fixed) their headers/footers to the browser window (hence mentioning the trend in my original post).

We shouldn't have to do this . . .

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 32
(4,389 Views)

I found it just about bearable on the ipad, but a disaster on a small tablet. The header takes up far too much screen real estate, making use difficult. As others have said if zoom is used to nake the text bigger, the header occupies even more screen space. A serious rethink is required. 

Rod

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 32
(4,367 Views)

I figured with the massive banner at the top of the page that the site was being redesigned for 'finger friendly' navigation on a tablet, but by the sounds of it tablet navigation isn't any better than a PC. I don't mind a design refresh every now and then, but this one needs some serious tweaking!

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 32
(4,337 Views)

Full screen view on my desktop using Chrome renders with no margins. Change from Max to Window and margins appear.

EDIT - Problem already pointed out HERE:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Feedback-on-NI-Discussion-Forums/New-layout-nice-but/m-p/3240069#M12497

2016-01-18_10-30-28.png

2016-01-18_10-37-50.png

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Message 15 of 32
(4,308 Views)

The webpages seem to not know where the top of the content starts relative to the header.  In the Idea Exchange I click on New Posts and then click on the first new post and the page that comes up invariably looks like this, which is utterly useless.  I can't even see the post that I clicked on.

Of course, I agree generally that it's much too large to begin with.

Useless.png

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 32
(4,299 Views)

Hi everyone,

The issue with the maximized browser window losing all formatting on a widescreen monitor is a bug that we are working with Lithium to address. (example)

There are several other bugs we are working on addressing as well, including:

- Clicking on the new post link from the board view will scroll you to the bottom of the page (example)

- Quoted text appearing larger than normal

There also seems to be some issues when using mobile or when changing the zoom on the web browser. This is something NI will investigate further.

Also, I wanted to mention that while responsive design is cited as one of the reasons for the changes, we still have different desktop and mobile versions of the forums as they are hosted by Lithium. We are working on rolling out a responsive design for the community in the future.

Please refer to the blog post here for more information on the changes, as well as the follow up comment here addressing some of the feedback we've already received. Please continue to provide feedback and report any issues you may encounter. You can post feedback in the comment section of the blog post, or using this form.

Thank you,

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 32
(4,284 Views)

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

Hi everyone,

The issue with the maximized browser window losing all formatting on a widescreen monitor is a bug that we are working with Lithium to address. (example)

There are several other bugs we are working on addressing as well, including:

- Clicking on the new post link from the board view will scroll you to the bottom of the page (example)

- Quoted text appearing larger than normal

There also seems to be some issues when using mobile or when changing the zoom on the web browser. This is something NI will investigate further.

Also, I wanted to mention that while responsive design is cited as one of the reasons for the changes, we still have different desktop and mobile versions of the forums as they are hosted by Lithium. We are working on rolling out a responsive design for the community in the future.

Please refer to the blog Capture.PNGhere for more information on the changes, as well as the follow up comment here addressing some of the feedback we've already received. Please continue to provide feedback and report any issues you may encounter. You can post feedback in the comment section of the blog post, or using this form.

Thank you,

Lili McDonald
Community Manager
National Instruments

OK, I can embrace change.  And This change probably makes sense for NI.com in general but, it really "F's" up the Forum experience (In my opinion) Smiley Mad

Probably the worst upgrade to the forums since "Reputation Sync"!

There is WAY too much "Dead Space" in both the header and the footer.  That leaves only a little room for me to view content of interest!  

Additionally, after performing a search, with that huge (UNLABLED) search feature that is only identifiable by custom, the "Content Blurb" (the white "1" in the blue circle) on my Shopping cart becomes unstable (Sometimes There, Sometimes NOT)

No Tip Strips?????Smiley Embarassed

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 18 of 32
(4,259 Views)

@JÞB wrote:
Additionally, after performing a search, with that huge (UNLABLED) search feature that is only identifiable by custom, the "Content Blurb" (the white "1" in the blue circle) on my Shopping cart becomes unstable (Sometimes There, Sometimes NOT)

Hi Jeff,

Can you tell me more about this issue you're facing? I tried to reproduce it, but I'm not seeing the same results. Are you adding an item to your cart, entering a search term, then not seeing the item quantity indicator on the cart? Could you post a screenshot of that?

Also, where are you not seeing the tooltips? Do you mean a tooltip on the cart?

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 32
(4,244 Views)

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

Hi Jeff,

Can you tell me more about this issue you're facing? I tried to reproduce it, but I'm not seeing the same results. Are you adding an item to your cart, entering a search term, then not seeing the item quantity indicator on the cart? Could you post a screenshot of that?

Also, where are you not seeing the tooltips? Do you mean a tooltip on the cart?

Thanks,

@The Cart Blue Circle content Flashes from 0 to 1 with every page refresh. EDIT[ The whole damned oversized My Account section "Re-Populates" with every page refresh....Annoy annoy annoySmiley Frustrated]  I am having trouble reproducing ithe Cart Contents blurb's [Edit See Below] absence after a "Search" However, I did check my cart after noticing its absence on the search results page (Shown on 1 of many tabs opened on several pages @ ni.com) It was likely just a old cookie that went astray.  ("Cookie Crumbs" on My Account?)  

And NO! there is no "Information" (i) Blurb to tell me that I could use "This bar to Search"

EDIT:

Capture.PNG

No CART Content Blue Circle on <>Myni/Dashboard! so it is inconsistantly showing.  I wasn't seeing things

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 32
(4,238 Views)