From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile woes. Thread moved by moderator hard too find

First thanks cross rules for getting that post moved about the 6009 Note 2 moderators when you're moving I reply to a new thread please leave a breadcrumb in the original thread so that mobile users can find the replies to the thread it's very difficult to find without a breadcrumb

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,750 Views)

Hello,

Can you please clarify the question. From what I understood, the question is about when an off topic post is moved to the correct board, having a link to reference the topic in the previous board. Correct?

Thank you

Alberto

NI Community Team

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,735 Views)

In this case apply was reported to a three year old read the moderator moved it to a new thread and the link on my profile page and my notifications still pointed to the original all thread rather than the new thread

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,733 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

In this case apply was reported to a three year old read the moderator moved it to a new thread and the link on my profile page and my notifications still pointed to the original all thread rather than the new thread

That is probably my fault.  I likely chose the wrong option for the notifications.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,728 Views)

Now that I have a keyboard handy and, am not relying on voice to text features, I can come back and clarify what "went wrong."  

Spoiler
Advice: use caution when "linking and driving"

Background, I posted to a reply on a thread asking for another member to provide a link to Forum use guidelines.  Tim did provide the link and the post was appropriatly moved to a new thread.  

My reply was also moved to the new thread.  THAT is where the chance for improvement comes in.  There was no notification that my reply to a post on a thread I was following was moved.  /There was a notification that a new reply (Tim's post) had been posted by Tim.  Because I'm such a great guy I went to hit the link in my notifications so I could Kudos Tim if he had actually helped the poster I had replied to.  All good so far.  The link in my notifications took me to the old thread rather than the thread the three posts had been moved to!  With a laptop I would have just opened a few new tabs and easily tracked down the new location.  Tracking down a moved post is not quite as easy on a mobile device.  So, what to do about that problem?  

The simplest change would be to create the notification that "a reply to a post in a thread you are following has been moved / deleted / etc..by moderator" be sent to all followers and a "Your reply to a post has been moved..." notification would be nice as well.  OPTIONALLY an additional "breadcrumb" post could be left on the source thread that moderator actions had occured to aid other followers of the thread in understanding any contextual discontinuities left in place.

Spoiler
And now we can each enjoy considering the surprise on Yair's face when is sees a clear post from me.  In my defense, the path to improvement is fairly clear

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,716 Views)

Hello, 

I tried to reproduce this issue, and when I clicked on the link, it took me to the correct post, not the previous one. Can you double check the link you were accessing? 

As for leaving a placeholder for a previous post, this is something we might look at for implementation in the future. 

Please let us know if any further questions. 

Thank you

Alberto

NI Community Team 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,658 Views)

Capture.PNG

links to here

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,651 Views)

Hello, 

Thank you for providing the screenshots to facilitate the explanation of the issue. We will do some more research on this issue and provide you with updates when available. 

Thank you

Alberto
NI Community Team 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,611 Views)

I have an update on this. The reason you received a notification to the topic even though the post had been moved is due to the option for an admin to choose to keep you subscribed to the original topic. Now, I would argue that you shouldn't receive notification if the post had been moved out -- but I am told that this is "expected." I will file an enhancement request to improve this workflow.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,478 Views)