Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Main forums page title

Solved!
Go to solution

Thanks for the screenshot. Is it the top discussion forums or the breadcrumb or both? Is the complaint that it is too long or not useful?

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(3,385 Views)

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

Thanks for the screenshot. Is it the top discussion forums or the breadcrumb or both? Is the complaint that it is too long or not useful?

I think the title in the tab is the issue. It is too generic and not specific to the NI forum at all. Imagine I have other tabs with the verizon forum, the HP forum, and some other lithium forums, and all tabs start with "Home - Dicussission", we only see redundant information. It would be much more helpful if the first words are globally unique, e.g. "NI forum", Verizon Forum", HP forum".

OTOH, I spend very little time on the forum home page, and things are better once we are in a specific part of the forum.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(3,377 Views)

Thanks for the explanation; I see the issue now.

I don't think we can easily remove "home" from the page title displayed in the tab, as all of the page titles follow the same format:

Home - Discussion Forums
Category - Discussion Forums
Topic Title - Discussion Forums

However, we could change the title to NI Discussion Forums, to give us Home - NI Discussion Forums. Would that be sufficient?

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(3,366 Views)

The lack of "NI" in the title is not much of an issue, really, because the favicon is clear enough. The main issue, as Altenbach points out, is quickly picking out the correct tab when you have multiple tabs open. Seeing "Home - NI..." is probably better than the current situation, but I'm not impressed with Lithium's customizations capabilites if they enforce a title. I would still prefer if it started with "NI...", as it was until ~18 months ago.

Somewhat related sidepoint - instead of leaving the main page open, I often keep the LV idea exchange unread module open and go to the main page from there, partly because of this issue, but mostly because the it's a pain to follow new comments on the IE (and other similar boards like the news board) and it's easier to keep that page open. Can you ask Lithium about providing a standard board view for the IE (i.e. show list of threads sorted by activity, show thread with new comments as bold), at least as an option?

(3,360 Views)
Most of the time, the favicon is OK, but sometimes it gets screwed up, e.g after clicking a link right after we auto connect to a public WiFi hotspot that has a captive portal.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(3,356 Views)

@tst wrote:

[...] I'm not impressed with Lithium's customizations capabilites if they enforce a title. I would still prefer if it started with "NI...", as it was until ~18 months ago.

To be fair, I said it's not easily done, but it is doable. Cat Happy Would NI Discussion Forums - Home suffice? That way you see "NI" first, but if you can see the entire tab, you'll also see "home" -- in case there's anyone who would want to know exactly which page they have open. All the other pages would still follow the same format Category > NI Discussion Forums, or Topic Title > NI Discussion Forums.

@tst wrote:

Somewhat related sidepoint - instead of leaving the main page open, I often keep the LV idea exchange unread module open and go to the main page from there, partly because of this issue, but mostly because the it's a pain to follow new comments on the IE (and other similar boards like the news board) and it's easier to keep that page open. Can you ask Lithium about providing a standard board view for the IE (i.e. show list of threads sorted by activity, show thread with new comments as bold), at least as an option?

Can you provide me the link of the LabVIEW Idea Exchange unread module so I have a better understanding of your workflow?

On the Forums News section, there's a sidebar component which lists the latest comments on the posts. If a similar component exisited for the Idea Exchange, would that be helpful?

I do understand what you're asking for and it makes sense for a technical community such as this. Just trying to get an idea for a potential workaround.

~~~~~~~~~
Message 16 of 20
(3,348 Views)

LiliMcDonald wrote:

Would NI Discussion Forums - Home suffice? That way you see "NI" first, but if you can see the entire tab, you'll also see "home" -- in case there's anyone who would want to know exactly which page they have open. All the other pages would still follow the same format Category > NI Discussion Forums, or Topic Title > NI Discussion Forums.

Yes, that seems fine. My personal preference would probably be "NI Forums - Home", but I understand the proper term NI uses has the word "discussion", so I would understand if NI was reluctant to do the shorter version.

(3,336 Views)
Solution
Accepted by LiliMcDonald

I fixed this for the next release we do to production. The homepage title will now read NI Discussion Forums - Home in a browser tab.

~~~~~~~~~
Message 18 of 20
(3,308 Views)

Thanks, it's definitely better, although as I suspected, the word "discussion" gets in the way, both because it's cumbersome and because it causes the "home" part to be cut off. It would be better if it wasn't there.

(3,123 Views)

The phrase "NI Forums" isn't the proper terminology we use to refer to the discussion forums, so we can't make that change to the page title.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(3,115 Views)