Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the number over our icon supposed to indicate if we have an unread message?

I am talking about my profile page and the red ball with the number that overlaps the avatar. I recieved a private message but hte number did not indicate as much. Click the "0" did show I had the message.

It seems that if the number is "0" that there should not be any non-zeros hiding under it.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,973 Views)

Hi Ben,

this number indicates your notifications count…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,963 Views)

so a new message should be reflected in the count?

True/False?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,962 Views)

The balloon shows only the number of notifications (i.e. activity on forum messages: replies, kudos, accepted solutions) and at present does not include the number of private messages to read.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(3,959 Views)

Hello Ben

At this moment we're looking at the possibility of having the number indicator appear on the avatar so you know to expand the menu. This way when you receive a notification you can identify the reason of that notification. 

I also advise you to take a look at the other threads referenced in this thread, there you can find further discussion on this topic. 

We will let you know when we have further updates on this. 

Thank  you 

Alberto

NI Community Team 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,939 Views)

Hi Alberto,

one more feature request for this notification count:

When I click on my avatar/nickname a small popup opens with items like Profile, My Settings, and so on. All these items are links that open other pages - but I miss support for Ctrl-click/Shift-click to open those pages in different tabs/windows!

(Observed with Firefox48.0.2)

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,928 Views)

It seems strage enough but in Chrome shift+click/ctrl+click/shift+ctrl+click works as expected for Profile, Settings, Subscriptions and Help links, but not for Notifications and Messages! Smiley Surprised

(Chrome 52.0.2743.116 m on Win10 Pro vers.1511)

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(3,920 Views)

Thank you for the intake, we will look into this and post updates when available. 

Thank you

Alberto

NI Community Team 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,904 Views)

GerdW wrote: When I click on my avatar/nickname a small popup opens with items like Profile, My Settings, and so on. All these items are links that open other pages - but I miss support for Ctrl-click/Shift-click to open those pages in different tabs/windows!

(Observed with Firefox48.0.2)

Lithium has identified this as a bug in the platform. There is no current ETA for when a fix will be available.

To summarize, the issue with the user menu is as follows:

In Firefox: You cannot open any of the links in a new tab by right clicking, but you can ctrl+shift to open in a new tab. This does not work for the Notifications or Messages links.

In Chrome: You can open any of the links in a new tab by right clicking or ctrl+shift. This does not work for the Notifications or Messages links.

In IE 11: You cannot open any of the links in a new tab by right clicking, but you can ctrl+shift to open in a new tab. This does work for the Notifications or Messages links.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,838 Views)

Hi Lili,

one more observation on the notifications:

check.png

Why is the notification on top more than a week old?

(On the positive side: it wasn't marked as new notification…)

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,787 Views)