Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to read private message

Solved!
Go to solution

I received an email notification that I have a private message in the Community.

With the new NI Community I did't find any way to access my private messages (I was able to do this with the old NI Forums).

Could someone help me?

Vix
-------------------------------------------
In claris non fit interpretatio

-------------------------------------------
Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(6,290 Views)
Solution
Accepted by vix

You simply have to (1) click on your avatar and then (2) click on "Message" in the notification box that shows.

I already pointed this difficulty out and they said that a visual reminder will be added to the avatar to highlight when notifications and private messages are present. No dateline was stated for this to be completed: with the huge revolution in the forum I suppose it will be not so early. Let them work on this...

Screenshot 2016-08-29 13.14.32.png

Ciao

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community

I just saw that the number of notifications has been added to my avatar. Still no reminder of private messages,  though. 

(6,256 Views)

Hi Roberto,

I notice this new notification number too: check.png

But this one just tells me there are 99+ notifications: there are notifications for threads I already answered/read weeks ago. So why do I still get notifications for them?

And there seems to be no (easy?) way to delete these notifications - or is there?

I would rather be interested in getting notified for private messages instead of this senseless notification count…

Edit: I just found out how to reset this notification count: you need to open the notifications page. I never did that before as I receive emails which notify me for new messages - and so I have no need for an additional notification counter…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(6,251 Views)

Hi,

one more observation for this notification count:

I open the LabVIEW forum with being logged on. There is no new notification shown at the avatar - but there is a new answer in a thread I recently wrote a message too. The thread is marked in bold…

I open the thread to read the answer I got.

I go back to the LabVIEW forum main page: the thread isn't bold anymore - but there is one new notification!

Ok, let's check this notification: it's for the message I just read seconds ago!

Why do I get notifications after reading the message they want to notify me for?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(6,244 Views)

Hi GerdW,

I started using the notifications page before this revolution in the forum and found it useful as it collects news for all the discussion I posted to. I find this page very useful and read it every time I connect to the forum. In this scenario, my notification count is always low and that page is effectively useful, but I am still missing a private message counter.

Nevertheless, I understand that your activity is probably more intense than mine resulting in a notifications page more crowded and this can be annoying. Maybe the counter could be an optional element defined in our profiles.

(6,241 Views)

Hi Roberto,

I tried to use the notifications too, but they always link to the first post of a thread.

Example: I got a message, someone posted in RubeGoldberg thread and it brings me to Altenbachs first message in this thread with hundreds of pages…

Another example: It notifies me "user xyz and two others" replied in a thread - with my own message being the 2nd newest and actually only one new message…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(6,191 Views)

Gerd, your're right and this is annoying. The notification link should point to the correct message in the discussion, not to the first one (actually the link holds the message number so there's only to update that final reference, although I'm not a web expert so I don't know how difficult it can be). This has already been raised to the community managers, I seem to remember.

I did'nt pay attention to the number gien in the notifications but it's true that sometimes it's misleading...

(6,164 Views)

I wonder if the situation could be fixed by adding "jump-to/first-unread-message" to the links in the notifications page. I have no notification unread at the moment with which to try but if it works it could be the simplest solution at least for notifications of new activities. Kudos and accepted solutions should point instead to the correct posts.

(6,144 Views)

Confirmed: modifying a link like '.../m-p/3342424#M74193' to '.../m-p/3342424/jump-to/first-unread-message' sends me to the unread part of the thread. Successive clicks on the link drive me to the start of the thread.

(6,127 Views)