Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when requesting desktop site on mobile

If I am on mobile (android,chrome, default settings) and I go to the menu to "request desktop site", I sometimes get the following error:

However reloading, going to any link from here, or even my profile works fine and no more errors occur. It stays in desktop mode as expected and I can edit and quote, etc.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,198 Views)

Is JavaScript enabled in your version of Chrome? Settings > Site Settings > JavaScript

I see by the URL that you are on the reply page when this occurred -- is that always the case?

After you've chosen Request Desktop Site, but before you see the error, do you happen to see lumen.ni.com (the ni.com login site) load briefly in the address bar?

I am unable to reproduce this issue on a Galaxy S5, Android v6x in Chrome. I tried a few different ways, but the main path I followed to attempt to reproduce:

Visited forums.ni.com

Logged in

Opened a topic

Tapped on reply

Requested desktop site

No error

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,177 Views)

I could not get it to appear today. Maybe it was just a temporary problem...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,171 Views)

And just after I posted the above message, I switched back to mobile and now got it for the reverse direction...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,170 Views)

Sorry to see you're still experiencing the issue. Can you please provide answers to the questions I previously asked, since they're still relevant?

Is JavaScript enabled in your version of Chrome? Settings > Site Settings > JavaScript

I see by the URL that you are on the reply page when this occurred -- is that always the case?

After you've chosen Request Desktop Site, but before you see the error, do you happen to see lumen.ni.com (the ni.com login site) load briefly in the address bar?

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,153 Views)

Thanks, as I said I use the chrome browser with all default settings, so yes, javascript is allowed (I just checked).

Everything works perfectly either in desktop or mobile mode, the problem is only seen (occasionally!) when I switch between modes using the browser menu. It happes too fast to tell if lumen... happens or not. Yes, there is "reply" as part of the URL, but it is not during a reply, but later (I think). I just switched modes a couple of times and did not see the problem. I'll keep an eye on it. Next time I will take a screenshot in landscape mode so we can see more of the URL. (It could well be a problem with the browser, e.g. a slight race condition)

(I will try a few posts in this thread using the phone for testing, we can delete them later)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,138 Views)

I now switch to desktop mode while editing.

-> no error, but empty window asking to load auto save draft.

Now I will complete the post and switch to mobile ....

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,136 Views)

OK, after posting the above message, I switched back to mobile mode and the error happened again.

Instead of staying on the current (=post-posting) URL for the new mode, It seems it went back to an earlier (or butchered) URL, here's the full text:

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,133 Views)

I believe I see the problem now. After you make a post, the topic loads and you are shown a message "Success! Click to go to your post." If you now attempt to use "Request Desktop Site" the page is meant to load again, but this time in desktop mode. However, it can't load that exact same page post-message posting because the success message is specific to the post you had previously made. This is similar to other websites where if you fill out a form, save, then attempt to go back in the browser, you may see a message such as "this page is no longer available." Obviously, the error message needs to be accurate, and it doesn't explain the odd URL shown, but this seems to be what is occurring. Now that I can reproduce it, I can escalate it to Lithium Support for further troubleshooting.

I assume you are switching back and forth to desktop mode because you want to use the full text editor?

~~~~~~~~~
Message 9 of 14
(4,103 Views)

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

I assume you are switching back and forth to desktop mode because you want to use the full text editor?

Yes, I might notice a mistake right after posting on mobile, but in order to immediately edit that existing post, I need to go to the full site because the mobile site does not support editing (?).

I guess this is the main reason I even noticed the problem. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,098 Views)