From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embedded links should open in a new page by default

When embedding links in a post, we have a choice of opening it the same window or in a new window.

Here are some use cases for each selection:

(A) Open link in a new window:

• We want to point to a page containing additional information (e.g. LabVIEW help, a manual, a vendor site, etc) that helps in understanding the current post.
  • We want to point to other posts related to the current discusssion but also want to stay on the current page.

(B) Open link in the same window (current default):

• The question does not belong here and should continue elsewhere (duplicate post, offtopic posts, etc). No need to stay on this page.

The vast majority of my embedded links fall under (A), so I suggest that should be the default instead of (B).

(Personally I typically shift-click just to be sure, but not everybody knows that trick to force a new window for the link.)

Are there good arguments to keep the curret default?

Message 1 of 5
(4,947 Views)

I agree it should be changed.  I think it used to default to "new window", but changed some months ago with one of the forum updates.

Message 2 of 5
(4,934 Views)

It is a UX best practice to have the option to open in page, because the user will still have option to right click hyperlink > open in new tab, or ctrl+click, or whatever option they have setup to open in new tab (for me it's mouse 3, and I almost always prefer to open in a new tab).

Whereas if the default is always open in new tab, the user only has this option and may find it annoying as well that they're being forced to a new tab. The "open in new tab" option is best for a hyperlink in the middle of a page such as a form.

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,911 Views)

OK, I am fine with that. Personally, I almost always press shift-click to make sure they don't re-use the current window. Having to press the back button takes so much longer, especially if it has to re-render a complicated page.

Since there are only two options, maybe lithium could make the choice a radiobutton (B) instead of a ring (A). If is much faster to click a radiobutton selection than to "click...hold...move down to the correct entry...release". It is also immediately obvious what the choices are. (With a ring we don't even know what the other choices are until we click it :()

Message 4 of 5
(4,902 Views)

I think that's a good option. The Lithium platform actually uses the TinyMCE editor, so this may be possible. Let me do some investigating and I'll report back. 

Cat Happy

~~~~~~~~~
Message 5 of 5
(4,894 Views)