cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing a message, splitting into several parts, adding attachment to a part

Solved!
Go to solution

I feel stupid.

I just started a discussion with the intention of splitting my post into several parts, but it seems that I can't do that unless I "comment" on my first post. This would be OK, except that I cannot seem to be able to insert anything to these comments but images and urls. I want to attach a zip file, but I have no button to do so. The "Add Attachment" button at the bottom of the message window is appearing only for NEW POSTS (such as this one)!

Third, I can't seem to be able to edit my post which was submitted a minute ago.

Help, Help, Help!

Thanks,

X. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,298 Views)
Solution
Accepted by X.

I assume you're talking about the Idea Exchange, where the editor is different from the standard forums.

One thing you can do is edit the comment for about 10 minutes after you post it (using the Options pull-down at the right of the comment). This will open the normal editor window which should allow you to add attachments.

X-) wrote:

Third, I can't seem to be able to edit my post which was submitted a minute ago.

In addition to Yair's answer, there is an additional step when trying to edit a new idea in the "ideas exchange".

After you submit, you need to first click on the idea title again in order to see the options pulldown in the upper left corner. (Right after submitting an idea, it drops you to the general ideas list, where you cannot edit directly).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,288 Views)

- No attachment for comments

- Ridiculously short Edit window

I suggest starting a special "'LabVIEW Idea Exchange Forum' Idea Exchange Forum" !

🙂

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,279 Views)

@X-) wrote:

- No attachment for comments

This is a very recent change and hopefully we get that functionality back.

X-) wrote:

- Ridiculously short Edit window

I would recommend composing and refining the idea/reply offline.

Personally, I think the edit time window should be extended, but I am not sure how long it should be. It probably should not be infinite to avoid race conditions. For example if there is already an extensive discussion of the current versiont and then the idea suddenly changes 180 degrees, none of the replies would make sense anymore and people even might want to revoke their kudos. Note that I often quote the existing post (as above!) to (1) make it clear what I am replying to and (2) to keep the answer clear even if you would have edited the above sentences into something completely different in the meantime. 😄

Historically, I think the edit window was forced to be very short to allow reasonable syncing with the newsgroup mirrors (e.g. LabVIEW forum vs. comp.lang.labview), but this is no longer an issue. What would be reasonable? 1 hour? 1 day?

Should existing repliers be notified of edit changes?

For longer edit windows, we might also need an versioning control mechanism (e.g. like in wikipedia). where older version can be inspected by the public.

Minor edits can be done by the moderator at any time. This should be reserved for simple mistakes (e.g. forgetting a "not", inverting the actual meaning, or changes in the title to make it clearer.)

In general, I agree that things can be improved. We just need to find the sweet spot. 😄

Message 5 of 6
(6,277 Views)

Well, for one, spell checking works up to a point... I happened to have prepared the post I am refering to in Word!

OK, that's not a good example.

Then I am sure that NI logs every single key stroke, so, in case of legal action, they would certainly be able to prove that you typed "darn" but started with a f-word at 6:54 AM from an IP number located in SoCal, so we should be able to DELETE a post, not only EDIT it.

:-))))))

Post checked for 15 seconds before the "Post" button was pressed with decisiveness from a Dell Precision PWS380 at 11:44AM PST, location: LA, CA, USA.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,272 Views)