Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating "stickies" on LabVIEW board?

Yesterday, someone (unfortunately, not me) had the good idea to start a thread on "Free online learning resources" on the LabVIEW board. I would like to suggest that this thread be made a stickie at the top of the board, in a bold black font, outlined with a red blinking box, since it would at least be useful to those getting into conversations with real newbies to point to for further information, at least on basic topics. (It would also be useful to those users like me, who don't want to clutter the board with those basic questions in the first place.)

Who should I contact to make such a request, and how?

Thank you,

Cameron

To err is human, but to really foul it up requires a computer.
The optimist believes we are in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true.
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.
An expert is someone who has made all the possible mistakes.

To learn something about LabVIEW at no extra cost, work the online LabVIEW tutorial(s):

LabVIEW Unit 1 - Getting Started</ a>
Learn to Use LabVIEW with MyDAQ</ a>
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,965 Views)

There is actually a FAQ that has been in beta for a very long time.  That would be the better answer to many problems.  Not sure what the status on it is right now though.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,960 Views)

Thanks, crossrulz,

FAQs are always good to see, but like you said, they often stick in "beta" for a long, long time, sometimes never to see the light of day for the larger community.

I've found as a member of several nonrelated forums that sticky threads at the top of a board are often more useful, as they:

(1) can be seen as soon as a member enters the board,

(2) are often easier for respondants to questions to refer the OP to ("Go to the top of this board," FAQs seem to be relegated to other places, up two or more levels, or even in another subdomain completely), and

(3) can be added to quickly by anyone who finds a relevant resource, whereas FAQs, by their nature, are slower to keep up with fast-breaking news, having to go through the FAQ maintainer(s)  and often some subset of the forum admin.

But, any way to get the resources noticed by the members who need them the most would be appreciated.

Cameron

To err is human, but to really foul it up requires a computer.
The optimist believes we are in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true.
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.
An expert is someone who has made all the possible mistakes.

To learn something about LabVIEW at no extra cost, work the online LabVIEW tutorial(s):

LabVIEW Unit 1 - Getting Started</ a>
Learn to Use LabVIEW with MyDAQ</ a>
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,955 Views)
I would be opposed to this. I hate it when there are floated threads which I can't unfloat and since Lithium (the company which makes the forum software) never implemented my request to allow us to unfloat threads floated by the moderators, I would only accept something like this if this was something which was floated by default for a new user, but could be unfloated by each user. Another alternative to this would be to add this as a line in the announcements section. I don't mind what's in there, but I'm not sure it's the best place for it. Additionally, I'm not sure if this would help - I expect that most people coming to the forum to ask something won't see the link and won't follow it even if they did. They came to ask a question, not to start looking for tutorials. Maybe what should be done is that when a user first creates their profile, they get the relevant links (and maybe that's already done today).