Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comments/Questions on New Layout

Hi,

when embedding a link in a post a dialog opens. in this dialog the buttons are (much) smaller then on the rest of the forum (and uses a different font plus mixed uppercase/lowercase chars instead of all uppercase…):

check.png

Comparison with the image upload dialog:

check2.png

(This one also uses a different font, but is not as small as the other dialog.)

In general I still think the new design is too big, but one the other side there should be a consistent look-and-feel for the whole forum…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 141 of 174
(911 Views)

Holy shlamolee this is awful!  What happened to being able to post a new topic from the main discussion page??  I hunted around for about 15 minutes before I realized that this has been moved to specific boards.  Navigation on the NI website has always been terrible, but this takes it to the next level.  This just seems like intentional obfuscation.

And - wow - the font is terrible!  Do they think that all engineers are legally blind?  

Message 142 of 174
(912 Views)

Also, want to point out something else with this evolution - NI seems to be continuing to go in a direction that is so much the opposite of other software communities.  Why are we still dealing with HTML in posts or even rich text?  This just further obfuscates the interface for posts by making it so much more complicated than it should be.  Is there a reason why NI has no interest in using markdown for posts.  It is simple and not verbose (unlike HTML) and used by a lot of very popular sites (such as Github and StackOverflow).  It is not clear to me why NI is so adverse to this suggestion (I have seen it brushed aside with regards to documentation also).

0 Kudos
Message 143 of 174
(909 Views)

Hi cirrusio,

in each forum there is a "Start topic" button on top. What else are you looking for?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 144 of 174
(908 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

when embedding a link in a post a dialog opens. in this dialog the buttons are (much) smaller then on the rest of the forum (and uses a different font plus mixed uppercase/lowercase chars instead of all uppercase…):

Thanks for reporting this. It will be added to the backlog.

cirrusio wrote: What happened to being able to post a new topic from the main discussion page??  I hunted around for about 15 minutes before I realized that this has been moved to specific boards.

I'm not sure what you are referring to. There was never a "start new topic" button on the homepage, and the button still exists in the same place. For instance, go to the LabVIEW board and there is a Start A Topic button at the top.

starttopic.png

@Nathan_B. wrote:

So, previously it seems that you made some of the default text smaller (it needs to be smaller yet or have a way for users to change it as a preference so that people who use this site on something that isn't a phone can read it more efficiently).  However, I've seen a tone of posts that still have bold text.  I see it very often so it's hard to believe that they changed it manually when they posted.

E.g. http://forums.ni.com/t5/Development-and-Deployment/Preventing-User-Access-to-Windows-while-running-a...

P.S.  If personalizable default text size is not at all possible (or in the meantime), is there a specific CSS style name used for all default post text so that I can update the style in my browser?

Do you have an example of the bold text occurring in a post that is more recent? The example you gave is from 6 years ago and we're attempting to reproduce and investigate.

Also, unfortunately there is no longer a default text size user setting in the new responsive design. This will need to be a platform enhancement request.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 145 of 174
(896 Views)

@Nathan_B. wrote:

So, previously it seems that you made some of the default text smaller (it needs to be smaller yet or have a way for users to change it as a preference so that people who use this site on something that isn't a phone can read it more efficiently).  However, I've seen a tone of posts that still have bold text.  I see it very often so it's hard to believe that they changed it manually when they posted.

E.g. http://forums.ni.com/t5/Development-and-Deployment/Preventing-User-Access-to-Windows-while-running-a...

LiliMcDonald wrote: Do you have an example of the bold text occurring in a post that is more recent? The example you gave is from 6 years ago and we're attempting to reproduce and investigate.

I figured out the problem. If a user writes their content in the HTML tab and submits the reply, there are no <p> tags added. Text within <p> tags is smaller than text that is not.

If you were to edit a post, change nothing, and resubmit it -- the <p> tags are added as you viewed the content from the Rich Text tab.

Anyway, we'll escalate this to the appropriate team to be addressed.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 146 of 174
(877 Views)

in each forum there is a "Start topic" button on top. What else are you looking for? 

I think that I was thrown by the new format.  Of course you all are correct, but it's been a while since I had posted and felt like I was hunting to find the post topic button.

So that actually gets to a user experience issue/gripe that I have always had with this entire site and was emphasized by my frustration yesterday - you have to know where exactly to go to actually take advantage of the functionality here.  I am guessing that most here are regular users and therefore have attained that knowledge and likely forget about their initial experience with this site (which has changed a lot over the years).  

Navigation is not straight forward.  Coming from ni.com, to ask a question I have to:

1. Click "Commuity" on the main page
  2. Scroll down the Community page and find the link Visit the Discussion Forums
  3. Figure out which link to select on the left hand side to get to the forum of interest (maybe Most Active...?)
  4. Select the boad of interest (likely LabVIEW?)
  5. And finally click Start a Topic to actually ask your question (whew)

So you have to know that Community is where you will find the Discussion forums which is where you will want to ask your question.  On top of this, you will actually have to select your board of interest before actually asking your question.  This may seem straight-forward to all who use this on a regular basis, but as my alzheimer's moment demonstrated to me yesterday, it is not.

Why not simplify this whole process?  The discussion forums are not the central focus of ni.com, but they get heavy use.  Barring how you actually get to the forums, why not have something that is more like stackoverflow when you actually get to the forums:

so_layout.png

SO covers many more topics than these forums and yet the process of searching and posting is much more streamlined.

0 Kudos
Message 147 of 174
(859 Views)

A related note to the "remembering the Kudos count" is "Remembering which post I just read".

If I use the "Unread posts" list and click on a post there I get brought to that post.  The list of unread posts however still contains the post I'm currently reading.  This seems counter intuitive.  Should the post not be marked as read if I've just clicked on it (Unless there are multiple pages, then the post should disappear as soon as I have actually read ALL of the posts there)?

0 Kudos
Message 148 of 174
(843 Views)

edit: entry removed… 😄

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 149 of 174
(842 Views)

@Intaris wrote:

If I use the "Unread posts" list and click on a post there I get brought to that post.  The list of unread posts however still contains the post I'm currently reading.

I have seen this on the Idea Exchange.  Can't say I have actually looked in the "normal" boards to see if it is an issue there.  If you do a refresh, does that fix the issue?  My thought was that there is a race condition where the unread posts is performed before the post is actually marked as read.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 150 of 174
(824 Views)