cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comments/Questions on New Layout

@GerdW wrote:

Hi RavensFan,

nothing special, I just set the text to "font size 2" when posting a message! 😄

(My way to enforce more compact messages in the forum. I did the same with my signature…)

See I figured that's what you were doing and I'm not sure how I feel about it.  For those that leave their zoom at 100% what you are doing makes your posts look normal, and the rest look bloated.  For those that zoom to 75%, all the other posts look normal, and yours looks tiny.  You can keep posting in whatever size you want of course, but I like consistency.  Although consistently zooming at 75% also doesn't address the real issue.

Message 81 of 174
(1,063 Views)

I wonder what the default font size is.

this is one

this is two

this is three  font

this is four  font

this is five

this is six

this is seven

Okay default seems to be 3.

To go with Hoovah's point.  I think it is better to use the default.  Everyone is going to use that by default, so you picking #2, you'll be odd man out.

There is a strong concensus that the font size is too big, and many are solving it by changing their zoom.  Which I agree is not the correct solution.

It seems to me that it should be a relatively simple fix to reset the style sheet for these pages.  I have no idea why the web page designer would have chosen such a large font for the default style.  My guess is they do all their web design on an iphone or ipad.

0 Kudos
Message 82 of 174
(1,040 Views)

GerdW wrote: I know (means "I'm sure") I could have text in one line with an embedded image.

Now I tried the same (putting a comment just right to an image): I set the cursor to the right of the image and start to type. Immediately with the first char the cursor jumps to the next line, not allowing to put text right behind an image.

I was able to reproduce this issue and will report it accordingly.

GerdW wrote: Additionally: when the cursor is below an image and you try to move it left (using cursor keys) the cursor stays below the image. When the cursor is in the text line above an image and you move the cursor to the right it will jump over the image (more or less as expected). Why does it behave different with cursor-left and cursor-right?

I was not able to reproduce this in Firefox 47.0.1 on Windows 7. I replied to this post, inserted a new image inline, put my cursor below the image, used the left arrow key to move it and it moved next to the image above as expected. See below:

cursor.png

Please provide more details on your setup so the issue can be further investigated.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 83 of 174
(1,035 Views)

Hi Lili,

I'm using FF47.0.1 too, either on Win7 (work) or Win8.1 (home, yesterdays message)…

Status_left-gray.pngno text in line with the image

On the cursor problem: at work (with Win7) the cursor jumps over the little image with cursor-left or cursor-right, but you cannot move the cursor directly to the image using the cursor keys. Even using the mouse I'm not able to place the cursor to the left or right of that image…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 84 of 174
(1,027 Views)

This reminds me on a "feature" which was also in the old forums. Which makes sense as i understand Lili as such that the editor for messages is still the same:

When quoting previous posts, the quote is "boxed". When deleting the last part of the quote (read: The rest of the post), the line break is also deleted. Hence continue to write will stay in the "quote-box".

The only solution i found for this is to change to HTML configuration and add <br> at the end. After this, switch back to Rich Text and you can reply "after the box".

Norbert

EDIT: Mentioning this here means: I hope that the editor can be changed to NOT delete the <br> in Rich Text when deleting last part of quotes.... *Feature request*

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 85 of 174
(1,024 Views)

This is a test of inserting images. This  header is followed by 2 line feeds, then the image. To the right of the image is a space and some text. Then two more linefeeds and more text.

Spectrum peak.png Why is the image preview off screen???? This is the text to the right.

This is the more text after two linefeeds.

This is definitely different behavior compared to before the weekend disaster. I have not changed anything in my OS or browser during the transition. OS X 10.10.5, Safari 9.1.2.

Lynn

Message 86 of 174
(1,009 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

I wonder what the default font size is.

this is one

this is two

this is three  font

this is four  font

this is five

this is six

this is seven

Okay default seems to be 3.

To go with Hoovah's point.  I think it is better to use the default.  Everyone is going to use that by default, so you picking #2, you'll be odd man out.

There is a strong concensus that the font size is too big, and many are solving it by changing their zoom.  Which I agree is not the correct solution.

It seems to me that it should be a relatively simple fix to reset the style sheet for these pages.  I have no idea why the web page designer would have chosen such a large font for the default style.  My guess is they do all their web design on an iphone or ipad.

I bet all the web designers have 24 inch or larger monitors and design the pages so they are readable on a huge but high resolution display. 

But that sucks for us.  

Using what I call a "Standard size window" that takes up 80% of the height of my monitor I can only see maybe 7 topics without having to scroll. 

The old board was a lot better as I could see 20 or more topics at a time in the same size window.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 87 of 174
(994 Views)

I bet all the web designers have 24 inch or larger monitors and design the pages so they are readable on a huge but high resolution display. 

But that sucks for us.  

Using what I call a "Standard size window" that takes up 80% of the height of my monitor I can only see maybe 7 topics without having to scroll. 

The old board was a lot better as I could see 20 or more topics at a time in the same size window.

The web creator (don't call it designer :>) maybe just had a power-point-engineering-class where he learned not to put more than 7 points on one sheet to not overstress the management / reader ??  😄 😄

or.... it all has to be streched  for the bigfoot handed touchdisplay users??  At least have 5cm (2 inch) between two links?? 🙂

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 88 of 174
(987 Views)

Preamble

We found our Google hits were dropping off and investigation showed that Google will give preference to a site that is "i-thingy" friendly.

Obesrvation about the re-do of the forums...

Lithium is most likely pushing to convert to the i-thingy version and NI has no choice but to do whatever Lithium decides.

I stand by my statement from years ago when I posted "Lithium may be a metal but it is not flexible."

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 89 of 174
(970 Views)

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned and this is a really long thread (and I don't see a way to search just this thread).

When I search a forum and I get a list of topics and I browse through them by scrolling down, I then want to go to page 2 of the search results.  When I click on "2" or "Next", it loads something but I'm still at the bottom of the page.  Since I requested to go to page 2, I should be at the top of page 2.

Message 90 of 174
(957 Views)