From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking updates to threads one has participated in without receiving email

Sounds basic but here is my question, and if it has no answer, my request for a forum feature.

Once one posts into a thread (including starting one), one can opt in or out to receive email updates. I usually opt out because I cannot care less for the spam. Moreover, I don't need the updates shortly after my post, as the thread will likely show up on my profile in the "Latest posts by X." section.

However, past a certain time, these threads will drift back into oblivion and I have to tab through many pages to occasionally find an updated thread (sometimes with interesting feedback).

Most other forums I follow have a way of bringing modified threads one has participated in (or subscribed to) to the top of the list.

Is there a way to do this on this site or is this a missing feature?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,465 Views)

Missing feature. Has been missing for quite a few years and complained about occasionally by the regulars.

(5,463 Views)

Mobile version does this, so the technology is in there somewhere.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,460 Views)

It seems it is a unique feature of the Lithium forums. I just had a glance at the Lithium website and found it bloated but just out of curiosity, I checked one of the forums they showcase as example, Autodesk

First post that caught my eye:

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 17.11.44.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,449 Views)

Just Click your own name and hit the View All button in Latest Posts.  

The Glyphs and BOLD text are rather informative and I rely on them to track short term activity since I often participate on multiple threads at the same time.

Hit the "My Settings" button on the mid-banner too!  and there is a way to get a daily summary e-mail.  That e-mail is the one to watch for longer term threads like bug report updates from JeffP etc....

Generally, the average poster never needs more tools that the profile page offers (I would bet a majority of "Members" do not even know THAT exists)  But you are getting up to that multi K post level where you do start feeling a bit of a pinch from being a few sigmas out on the tail of the distribution.  Writing tools for this far out on the tail is probably not a sound investment for Lithium---- but I wish they HAD thought of us earlier in the design.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,428 Views)

I do NOT want to view all posts. I just want the modified threads to be promoted to the top of the list.

An unmodified thread at the top of the list is pretty much of no use.

A modified thread relagated to page 29 is of even less use.

I do not want to rely on emails to check which thread is modified. I do check the forum regularly but not frequently, and when I do, I want to be able to check the new stuff is there is any, wihtout to have to pull up update emails OR browse the (currently) 81 pages of messages listed under my account.

The forums I was referring to in my original post cost zero money to their owners (at least compared what NI probably pays Lithium for theirs) and pretty much provide the same functionality plus the one I am talking about here. In fact they provide more, in many ways.

I doubt this request is technically difficult to implement. It's just that nobody has been vocal enough to request it.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,415 Views)