01-08-2013 11:01 AM
Hello Forum Users!
Over the past few years as the world has seen social media engagement drastically increase, we've also seen support engagement on our NI social accounts increase. You may have already noticed some new threads on our support forums posted via Facebook.
I'm pleased to announce we're expanding our award winning support community onto the social web. We've deployed a new Facebook application that allows us to integrate technical conversations and questions posted on our Facebook company pages with the activity happening here on our own hosted community.
This pilot is meant to address the following:
1) The growing number of people who have questions but don't know where to go first:
We're seeing a growing number of people asking support-related questions somewhere other than the NI Forums. While we are always educating people to navigate to ni.com to ask their question, we ultimately want to make sure that people get the help they need, when they need it, no matter where they are. This application will make sure that their question on Facebook gets automatically mirrored on our best-in-class forums.
2) Giving credit where it's due:
We know that there are many of you out there who are helping answer technical questions outside of the NI Forums. We want to reward you with the reputation points and kudos you deserve when you help someone in need, no matter where the help is offered. With this new application, you can link your Facebook profile to your ni.com profile, such that you will get credit for any questions you help answer that were posted to our Facebook page. Be sure to read the permission agreement when you link your profile.
Some things to note:
1) This is a pilot. We're testing this out to see if it's valuable to you, our NI community members. If this doesn't prove worthwhile, we plan to decommission the Facebook integration application.
2) This application integrates the NI Forums with our Facebook company pages only. We may consider integration tools for other social platforms in the future, such as Twitter, but no official plans exist.
3) If you link your Facebook profile to your ni.com profile, NI will not use any of your personal Facebook data. But, we recommend you read the permission notification and educate yourself on exactly what you're agreeing to nonetheless.
4) Your Facebook profile and Forums profile are linked only when you access the Technical Support app from one of the National Instruments or LabVIEW Facebook pages. The link is formed so you will automatically be logged into the Forums if you visit the Technical Support app in Facebook again. You also have the option to post an update to your Facebook wall when you engage in the Forums and you have the option to receive notifications from Facebook when someone replies to your post.
As you participate, we welcome your thoughts and feedback on this thread.
01-09-2013 11:38 PM
01-10-2013 11:23 AM
Can you explain in a little more detail your reservations around Facebook and private messages?
From the Facebook app you are able to view your private messages, but you are not able to create new messages and send to Forum members. You can select a user who's posted, but you are taken out of Facebook and dropped into the NI Forum environment onto their profile page. Did you receive multiple private messages in the Forums yesterday? Or did you receive them on Facebook? I checked the stats and there was only 1 view of the Private Messages list from the Facebook app in the past 2 days.
01-11-2013 08:23 AM
No, It was just one oddball PM from a teenager. The PM was related to LabVIEW and its probably just a coincidence that it occurred on day 1 of the facebook integration test. I do appreciate the details of how FB and the forums are integrated though.
01-30-2013 11:49 AM
01-31-2013 05:45 AM
I thought FB was only for teenagers? Or parents who want to keep an eye on their teenagers?
My wife and I use FB to keep up on family. She is from Thailand and I'm from Western New York but now live in Mass.
For me, FB is my personal life and I don't care to mix it up with the LV world.
Maybe if the forums were integrated with LinkedIn or Google+, I might explore that.
02-01-2013 02:06 PM - edited 02-01-2013 02:07 PM
We are now about half way through our pilot and I wanted to give a quick shout out to some superstar Forum members who have gone above and beyond in aiding our Facebook friends who have been posting from our Facebook app to the NI Discussion Forums! Thank you for your patience with these new users and for continuing to provide knowledge and great support. It's because of the atmosphere in this community that we are able to explore avenues like this support via Facebook.
Big thanks to:
Thanks for everyone's contributions and please keep the great feedback coming!
02-01-2013 02:29 PM
The company I work for blocks access to Facebook, since Facebook belongs to the "Social Media" catagory.
So while I believe this is a good idea, others may be in the same situation as me and simply can not use it.
02-07-2013 02:12 AM
I did experience some "hanging" issues when trying to write a reply to a post from facebook when you're not correctly linked/integrated between both (facebook<->forums) environments.
I also didn't get the message to connect/integrate my 2 accounts until I went into that specific post on the facebook page.
Seeing that a lot of people will try to give replies on the general page without going into the specific post, this might cause usability issues.
Now that the accounts are integrated it's more easily usable.