cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Unable to perform requested action" banner appears while typing a message

Solved!
Go to solution

A strange one this....

While typing messages, a bold red stripe containing the words "Sorry, unable to complete the action you requested" appears above the "Subject" box.

It disappears to be replaced, just below the "Select Location" box by an "Autosaved at  xxxx" message.

These two messages alternate while typing, at intervals of about one minute. Strange, and distracting.

I'm not trying to attach anything, change fonts, I'm just typing.

Rod

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(25,026 Views)

Go and consult your internet doctor. No such problem (but many others) on that side of the pond.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(25,022 Views)

Rod,

1. Where were you attempting to create a post when this occurred?
  2. Do you know apporoximtately what time?
  3. Is it with every post you make?
  4. Have you tried logging out / logging in?

I will mention that your profile baffled many of this weekend. You somehow have managed to not have an avatar at all, which has caused a few odd bugs (like when you hover over your name, or a now fixed bug that occurred on your profile). I wouldn't be surprised if this is causing other bugs as well.

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(25,004 Views)

Hi Lili,

1 and 2. Yes, I was attempting to create a post. It happened with both of last night's posts, at around midnight BST (UK)

3. It was with every post, including with my reply to your missing links post just now.

4. Just tried logging out and back in (It asked be for email and password) again. It seems to have fixed that one. I get the autosaved message.... and the message updates without disturbing other things

Regarding the avatar, I don't recall either setting or unsetting one, so I expect I'll have whatever was the default when I set the account up. I see what you mean about things not right without the avatar. I've tried hovering over my name in a post and I get a box like a tip-strip saying "Something went wrong, try again". I get a popup if I hover over yourt name,

If you get the request to load/discard an autosaved message, it appears in blue on a slightly lighter blue background. Any chance of changing the colours to make it more visible. The same goes for the colour selection of the success - return to message link after posting a message.

Thanks

Rod

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(24,983 Views)

Thanks for the update, Rod. If you continue to receive the error message, please let us know and provide a screenshot. It sounds sort of like the error you receive when you've been marked as inactive and need to login again. I would need to see the actual error in context to know though.

As for the avatar issue, you can go to My Settings > Avatars to choose one.

For the autosave message font color, we can take a look at updating this.

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(24,970 Views)

Hello Lili,

On my mini tablet, I followed your link to add an avatar. I chose the first one the environment section, the plainish blue one. It won't let me. 

Hopefully there's a screenshot attached.

I did try logging out / in with no change. It was the same on my ipad. I don't have a pc at home, but will try uploading a picture at the office tomorrow. I presume a png will be suitable. Do you have a suggested size?

On the subject of colours, I was looking at the popups that appear when you hover over a name. Your name is black on blue, and quite clearly readable. But a blue is lightish blue on mid blue, and quite indistinct. Non-blues are a muddy yellowy brown on the same mid blue, and just as invisible. Perhaps if the background were changed to a very pale blue or yellow, or white, with a thin dark surrounding box it would look better. 

Rod.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(24,956 Views)

I believe I figured out what may be causing this issue. There is another user named Rod here. Is that an old account of yours or someone else? This typically only occurs due to our pre-SSO days.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(24,949 Views)

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

I believe I figured out what may be causing this issue. There is another user named @Rod here. Is that an old account of yours or someone else? This typically only occurs due to our pre-SSO days.

Hi Lili,

Not me... Looking at the dates, it was before I registered, and maybe even before I discovered LabVIEW. I could change my user name if that helps.

Rod.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(24,945 Views)

I would appreciate it if you could give that a shot. You can update your username by going to My NI Account > Edit Profile > Alias field.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(24,934 Views)

Hi Lili,

As you can hopefully see, I am now Rod42, and I have been able to set an avatar.

Thanks for your help.

Rod. 

aka Rod42.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(24,929 Views)