From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UX with mobile devices…

Hi Lili,

as mentioned I start a new thread on my UX of the LabVIEW forum with my mobile. I'm using an old HTC Wildfire: Android 2.3, 3inch screen…

With the old website design when I was checking the LabVIEW forum I got a small header and immediatly a list of current topics. Even on the small screen atleast 6 topics where visible! The mobile landing page was very quick to load and didn't need a lot of resources on my mobile.

Last Saturday you activated the new website design. My first impression: my mobile or NI's server is "broken" as it wasn't able to load the website. On Sunday the same: after ~1min still no useful website visible on the mobile. Ok, you suggested to wait for the servers to get stabilized.

On Monday evening the next try: the website still takes ~30s to load, but it shows up without error messages of Chrome. The first screen shows some blue/green boxes on top of the big blue header. Ok, scroll down: next one and a half screen shows the quick link list into the different boards. Well, I tried to load the same old link as years before bringing me directly into the LabVIEW forum, but it is interesting to read all those other possibilities to participate too.

One more screen to scroll down: I see the "top kudoed posts". Interesting…

One more screen to scroll: "top kudoed authors". Damn, I wanted to check the LabVIEW forum…

Let's continue to scroll: one and a half screen full of "New solutions". Where's the LabVIEW forum anyway?

Are we getting nearer? No: "top solution authors" on the next screen…

But now: "top tags". Oh well…

Yippie: After a "Search the community" box I see the blue "Start a topic" button and the first thread in the LabVIEW forum…

Scrolling even more: I see atleast two (yes, 2) thread titles on one screen!

Because of poor usage of screen space the list of threads is long. Something like 12 screens.

But there is a gimmick at the end: 2 screens of footer…

(Ok, the website is shown on my mobile in a just one "column": I always can scroll to the right to see two additional white screens.)

Let's compare with previous design: Instead of jumping into the LabVIEW forum in less than 5s I now have to wait much longer for the website to load. When the site has loaded I have to scroll several screens down because of information I never missed so far. The site doesn't seem to be optimized for mobile devices anymore (not atleast for older ones).

Did anyone compare UX of the forum in the upgrade process?

And no, I don't intend to buy a new mobile because of NI's website redesign…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,604 Views)

To summarize my long post about (mobile) UX with new website design:

Till last Friday the mobile landing page of the LabVIEW forum was one of the best websites regarding UX on my mobile. (True!)

But starting on Saturday NI favored design over function. (With tendencies to "forgot function over design").

My list of things I like to do with my mobile gets shorter. Guess which item is missing now…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,591 Views)

Gerd -- can you please confirm that you are indeed on Android v2.3? This version was released 6 years ago and has since been discontinued.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,568 Views)

Hi Lili,

yes, I can confirm. As I said: it's an older mobile. It works, it runs the 3 apps I need/want, it shows the selection of 6 websites I check regularly. (Maybe I'm not the "standard" mobile user :D)

And I still say: the mobile website of the LabVIEW forum was perfect - till last Friday!

See this: 2% still use Android2.x, more than 50% use an Android older than 5.0…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,561 Views)

Unfortunately, responsive design does not support Android v2.x. The new skin being used has a completely recoded base from what was used previously -- which was very outdated (in functionality, not just design). I am sorry that this prohibits you from accessing the community on your mobile device, but there is no workaround for this. It simply is not supported anymore.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,545 Views)