Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Posting bounce-back from edit screen (mobile)

If I try to reply to a post on mobile, it often takes a few seconds for the page to load and the buttons to un-bleach. If during that time I click on the composition area to prepare for typing, it immediately warps me back to the previous page.

It should not do that!

(Android, chrome)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 30
(4,307 Views)

Hi Christian,

I am unable to reproduce this on iOS in Chrome or Safari - on/off WiFi and with cookies/cache cleared. Whenever I tap on the editor in various states of loading, I remain on the page and am not sent back to the previous page. I still need to attempt to reproduce this on an Android device and will let you know when I have an update.

Thanks,

Lili

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 30
(4,220 Views)

We tested this in Chrome on the latest version of Android and we're still unable to reproduce this. I wonder if you're somehow tapping the cancel button? Does the URL change when you're taken back to the previous page?

For example, if I attempt to reply to this post...

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Feedback-on-NI-Community/Posting-bounce-back-from-edit-screen-mobile/m-p/364...

...and I then tap on cancel, the URL updates to:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Feedback-on-NI-Community/Posting-bounce-back-from-edit-screen-mobile/m-p/364...

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 30
(4,201 Views)

Thanks. Yes, it is 100% reproducible and I do click inside the composition window to trigger it, not on any button.

However, it might be specific to a certain chrome version and other settings (58.0.3029.83 on android 6.0.0 and "data saver" enabled). Too many variables :D).

I also have chrome beta on my phone (60.x...) and it seems it works correctly there. I'll do a few more tests.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 30
(4,193 Views)

I see the same problem on my android phone. This behaviour is very annoying. Works ok on my android tablet.

It seems, when I try to click in the text field during a reply, to spawn the keyboard of the phone, it actually makes a click on the cancel button. I have to try several times this "click in the text field", to get lucky not to trigger the cancel button. It is like the effective area of this cancel button is much larger than it shown. Wrongly optimized html code???

My phone: Sony Xperia CompactX, Android 7.1.1

Chrome version: 59.0.3071.125

EDIT: I see this behaviour even if I wait until the page is totally loaded!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 30
(4,095 Views)

Ok, maybe if i really wait until the page is loaded, it works fine. I keep testing 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 30
(4,090 Views)

Try chrome beta to see if it makes a difference.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 30
(4,082 Views)

Ok, installed chrome beta. If i wait until the page loads, no problem. But if i immediately tap into the text field when it appears, the loading of the page moves the position of the page elements. Therefore, the tap happens on the cancel button, so going back to the previous page. NI could design the page for mobiles in a way, that during load that cancel button is inactive. Or i guess there could be another workarounds too, but i am not a web designer/programmer 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 30
(4,071 Views)

Yes, it almost seems it is getting even worse (even on chrome beta).

Sometimes I can edit a post and already add or delete a few characters in the edit window when suddenly the buttons below turn grey and the page goes back to the previous page without anything that I can do to prevent it. Basically when composing or editing a post, I need to force myself to count to about 10 Mississippis before putting my finger down anywhere.

There is something seriously wrong in the page code to allow this kind of race condition. Is somebody at Lithium looking into this?

Message 9 of 30
(3,966 Views)

Hi Christian,

We are still unable to reproduce this on various Android devices or iOS devices. We will escalate this issue to our community provider for further investigation though. It would be helpful if you are able to provide a video capture of what is occurring, if you have that sort of capability on your device.

We will keep you posted of any updates.

Thanks,

Lili

~~~~~~~~~
Message 10 of 30
(3,936 Views)