Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to understand why the last post below is still appearing in bold, when I have read it several times and reloaded my profile page several times:

Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 14.35.00.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,408 Views)

There was a related post here about the Unread Topics component in the Idea Exchange. However, in your case, the idea in question does have a comment (your own). If you go to the idea and mark it as read, does anything change? I'll need to do some investigating to figure out what exactly is going on here.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,404 Views)

The only thing I am offered to do is "mark as new".

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,396 Views)

Can you mark as new, then mark as read? I was able to reproduce the issue (although I don't see what would trigger the problem) and was able to clear the idea from the unread component by marking as read. Regardless of a workaround, this will need further investigation.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,392 Views)

Nope, doesn't work.

If that may help, it appears to be specific to IE threads (did I mention that there was no reason for them to behave any differently than the others?).

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,388 Views)

Hi Lili,

Trying to consolidate some stuff here...

There was discussion in the mega thread. 

GregS wrote:

Also in the Idea Exchanges, it seems that topics are only sometimes being marked as read when they are opened, and sometimes not i.e. they remain in the list of Unread Topics in the sidebar. There seems to be no pattern to this.

I was able to reproduce this issue and discovered that the problem is specific to an idea that has no comments. The idea will disappear from the "unread topics" component only if you have read all of the comments associated with the idea. I will log this bug to Lithium.

However what you're able to reproduce does not seem to match what I'm currently seeing in the Idea Exchange.  Hopefully this following series of images will make sense. 

On the LabVIEW Idea Exchange board I see the following 2 things... Notice This thread is in the unread topics section, has a bold title in the main thread listing, but also says explicitly that there are 0 new messages

Home 1.pngHome 2.png

When I click on the Unread Topics button I get to this page (which has the New Messages column still.  Thumbs up for that)

Unread Topics.png

When I click the 1, it takes me to the thread where it again explictly lists 5 Comments (0 new)

Performing a Mark as Read fixed the situation.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,351 Views)

Thanks, Tim. That issue sounds a bit different from the one I described. There are two other reports recently Wrong Comment Count and Odd Numbers for New Message Count. Your issue may be similar to the former?

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,338 Views)

I notied the Idea Exchange now as the page numbers showing again and the ability to jump to a different page.  Maybe adding that back in was connected to the behavior here which seems to have improved, but not completely.

I noticed that when you read a new idea on the exchange, the idea still shows up in the new idea box, just like commented in this thread.  But if you go and click on the link again, then the next time it gets cleared and gets noted as having been read.

So it seems like you no longer need to go to the options menu, but you do have to read the new idea a second time to get it marked as read.

Actually, it is more like this.  Clicking on it the first time does get the idea marked as read (as evidenced by refreshing the forum board in a separate window where you see the new message count go down.  But the thread you just went into, shows up in its own window as still having been read.  It's like the web page doesn't take itself off the new list.  I'm pretty sure in the old forum style, the message you went to did not show up in the new idea box on the right side once you went into, unless you happened to have had many unread messages in it where some of them were on another page of that idea.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,299 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

I noticed that when you read a new idea on the exchange, the idea still shows up in the new idea box, just like commented in this thread.  But if you go and click on the link again, then the next time it gets cleared and gets noted as having been read.

I noticed that long ago as well.  But was hoping it was linked to another issue that would resolve it.  I think it is just a race condition with the "unread pages" display being propulated before the thread is marked as read.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,278 Views)

"Noticed that long ago" as in before the design changes or meaning sometime within the last week or so?

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,273 Views)