cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New layout - nice but.....

Solved!
Go to solution

Another driver page unusable: NI RF Device Drivers 2015.11

All I get is the title and then the blue footer.  Incidentally, the same happens for the NI RF Device Drivers 2015.08 and NI RF Device Drivers October 2014

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 31 of 55
(4,184 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Another driver page unusable: NI RF Device Drivers 2015.11

All I get is the title and then the blue footer.  Incidentally, the same happens for the NI RF Device Drivers 2015.08 and NI RF Device Drivers October 2014

Thanks for reporting this. I've passed it along internally.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 32 of 55
(4,175 Views)

tst wrote: It's possible that this isn't new and that I just managed with it before or that I had the lower zoom level despite the smaller font, but I would expect I would have noticed it in the past.

Instead of zooming, have you tried to enlarge the text size in My Settings > Preferences > Display? See the same post attached with the browser sized at 1211x935, text size set to X-Large.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 55
(4,167 Views)

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

Instead of zooming, have you tried to enlarge the text size in My Settings > Preferences > Display?

I have not. Doing so now does make things mostly better. There are still some weird artifacts (such as the board links in the main page and other elements using a smaller font or the reply button and kudos button not matching in size) and I expect this will probably not be that great on the other PC, but I'll have to check to tell. I'll keep it for the moment and see how it behaves.

One more issue - since the update, occasionally (especially after being logged in for a while, but not actually browsing the forums), when I start browsing again, the page appears to load fully, and then after about a second it loads again. For example, just now I went into this board and clicked the title of this thread, but then the board view refreshed and it reloaded the board with your latest reply already marked as read rather than showing the thread. Most of the time I just see this as a simple referesh, because I don't click a link that quickly, but this indicates that this is an actual reloading of the page, not just the browser arranging all the parts.

(4,156 Views)

tst wrote: One more issue - since the update, occasionally (especially after being logged in for a while, but not actually browsing the forums), when I start browsing again, the page appears to load fully, and then after about a second it loads again. For example, just now I went into this board and clicked the title of this thread, but then the board view refreshed and it reloaded the board with your latest reply already marked as read rather than showing the thread. Most of the time I just see this as a simple referesh, because I don't click a link that quickly, but this indicates that this is an actual reloading of the page, not just the browser arranging all the parts.

We did have a Lithium platform update about a day before the updates to ni.com -- which would be a more likely cause than a design update.

What is your "Mark posts as read" setting in My Settings > Preferences > General? I ask because you say you're logged in but inactive for a while, so it may be possible that the page is refreshing when you're "logged in again". If that is the case, your posts could be marked as read by the system depending on what you have in your preferences.

The next time it happens, please provide an estimate of how long you believe you were inactive, as well as the exact timestamp of when you notice the page refresh.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 55
(4,150 Views)

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

What is your "Mark posts as read" setting in My Settings > Preferences > General? I ask because you say you're logged in but inactive for a while, so it may be possible that the page is refreshing when you're "logged in again". If that is the case, your posts could be marked as read by the system depending on what you have in your preferences.

That's a red herring. I only brought up the post being marked as read, because it made it obvious that the server got my click and tried to go into the thread, but was then preempted by the reload of the board view. Usually, I don't click a link before this refresh happens. Also, I should point that the inactivity might be a red herring too. It seems to me as if this happens more after I have been inactive, but that might be an illusion.

Anyway, I did this now: I went into an open tab which had a loaded page (the settings page from earlier, although that doesn't really matter) and then I opened the develper tools on FF (using F12) and went to the Network tab and then I clicked the link for the main forums page. On the log, the first action was a GET for https://forums.ni.com/ at Thu, 28 Jan 2016 18:32:52 GMT, then a bunch of other GETs for all the resources, and I scrolled down and then there was a second GET for https://forums.ni.com/ at Thu, 28 Jan 2016 18:33:03 GMT( so 11 seconds later) and the page refeshed. Again, I wasn't logging in, I just clicked the link to the page.

Here's an image of the timing tab for the two GETs from the log:

refresh.png

Note that the second one also doesn't take things from the cache, but I'm guessing that's just the browser thinking that means the user really wants to reload all the resources.

(4,136 Views)

Thanks for the information, tst. I will investigate this further with Lithium to see if we can track down the issue. I'll let you know if I need more information or if I have an update.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 37 of 55
(4,118 Views)

tst --

I have a few more questions for you:

• Does your browser have the cache/cookies saved for the site?
  • Does it occur in other browsers besides Firefox?
  • Do you see the same thing on other ni.com pages, or only on the forums?
  • On the forums, is it only the homepage or elsewhere?
  • Would you be able to create a screencast of what you're seeing?

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 38 of 55
(4,098 Views)

Another issue:

If I go to the Idea Exchange and click on the "view all" view to see all unread posts, I have a drop-down options bar to mark all as read or as new for the ENTIRE community.

I'm pretty sure the text was originally only "Mark as new" and "Mark as read" (so the current text is at least an improvement on that) but it's a nice way to completely lose track of what has been read and what not on the entire forum.  Surely this operation in this view should limit itself to the "Idea Exchange" board?

0 Kudos
Message 39 of 55
(4,082 Views)

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

tst --

I have a few more questions for you:

• Does your browser have the cache/cookies saved for the site?
  • Does it occur in other browsers besides Firefox?
  • Do you see the same thing on other ni.com pages, or only on the forums?
  • On the forums, is it only the homepage or elsewhere?
  • Would you be able to create a screencast of what you're seeing?

Thanks!

tst -- I believe we've found the cause of the issue. To verify we're seeing the same thing -- when you see the page "refresh", are you seeing the location at the top right of the header change from "choose your country" to your actual country?

I'm also still wondering though if you have your cache/cookies blocked for the site.

Intaris wrote: If I go to the Idea Exchange and click on the "view all" view to see all unread posts, I have a drop-down options bar to mark all as read or as new for the ENTIRE community.

I'm pretty sure the text was originally only "Mark as new" and "Mark as read" (so the current text is at least an improvement on that) but it's a nice way to completely lose track of what has been read and what not on the entire forum.  Surely this operation in this view should limit itself to the "Idea Exchange" board?

Intaris -- this isn't related to the new ni.com or layout and I don't see that this changed occurred in the last two versions of the Lithium release (according to the release notes). I agree though that this behavior is odd since it should scope to the area you're in. I'll see what Lithium thinks about this.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 40 of 55
(4,062 Views)