Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New auto-logout? Anyone else?

Solved!
Go to solution

For a few days, I notied the following behavior, which is new.

1. I am logged into the forum and go to sleep for the night
  2. The next morning, I an still logged in and look at some posts with new activity, etc. (This part is the same as always). Some threads are bold, some are not.
  3. After a few click, I click on my user name to se my profile once more and look for new activity.
  4. Suddenly, All is bold and I am logged out (This is new and happend every day for the last few days).
  5. I need to log in again to continume.

Why does it kick me out after I have already looked at some stuff that clearly require a login? There seems like a race condition oor something.

I would prefer if it would not log me out randomly. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 122
(7,259 Views)

Hi Christian,

We haven't made any changes on our side recently. There was a Lithium update early Friday morning, but the release notes mentioned no feature / setting change related this login. Has this issue been occurring since before Friday?

Edit: I do want to mention that there has always has been an inactivity time period in which you will be logged out for security purposes. I just wanted to clarify this as it's always been in place, but this report sounds as if there is a new issue here.

I have a few questions about your workflow:

1. Are you leaving your web browser open over the night? 

2. When you start to browse the next morning, have you refreshed the page, or do you just start where you left over the night before -- assuming you leave the browser open?

3. Are you still logged in to ni.com -- do you see "Hello Christian" at the top right of the page? Or are you logged out of both the forums and NI.com?

If anyone else is experiencing this, please let us know.

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 122
(7,254 Views)

Yes, I leave the browser open. Typically the first thing is to click on my name and then on the post history and I see a few bold threads. The one's with new activity. After clicking and inspecting the new threads (some even in private forums where I am definitely need to be logged in), I click again on my name and suddenly all threads are bold.

I the past, I was either logged out from the beginning or I was still logged in for good. Now we are somewhere in-between, it seems.

I'll try to inspect it more closely tomorrow once more. My routine is always the same and something has definitely changed.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 122
(7,248 Views)

I'll attempt to reproduce it overnight as well. It's certainly possible something happened in the latest release and we're not aware of it (like this floated topics column bug).

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 122
(7,240 Views)

I noticed this as well.  There have been times in the past where a logout interval would occur, but I think it has been a long since I had seen an automatic logout.  That is until the last few days.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 122
(7,231 Views)

When you're logged out, do you see any error messages?

When this happens again, noting the time stamp may be beneficial as well.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 122
(7,226 Views)

No error message. Just all threads bold.

Could it be that the cookie only resets on the forum homepage and not on other forum pages?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 122
(7,222 Views)

I have also seen behavior as Christian described. 

My browser has an addon which automatically refreshes a page periodically.

I think when I have seen this behavior I had turned off the auto refresh but had not logged out.  I do not recall specifically the sequence of actions but typically it will be sitting on the LabVIEW page. I often click on the Discussion Forums link to check a few other Boards, like this one, before going through all the new posts on the LV page. I can see one unread post. Then when I hit the Back command I find myself logged out.

This is farily recent - a few days or maybe a week.

Lynn

Safari on OS X

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 122
(7,206 Views)

Just happened to me again. I was browsing the forum for at least 30 minutes when I suddenly found myself logged out.

Seemed completely random.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 122
(7,198 Views)

I haven't seen this recently, but I do remember a similar situation from a couple of years ago, when something was changed about the login. There was a discussion and the first post about this issue is here - http://forums.ni.com/t5/Feedback-on-NI-Discussion-Forums/New-Login-Page-Authentication-Method/m-p/23...

I haven't looked through the whole discussion now, but skimming it I see that it was something about which link was used to log in and I see that I said I went back to the old link at some point. I don't know if I'm using the old one or new one now, but the bookmark I have now is

https://lumen.ni.com/idp/profile/SAML2/Unsolicited/SSO?providerId=https://forums.ni.com/auth/saml&is...

and I see that it has some comments on it which were probably left from when I was playing with it.

(7,192 Views)