Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Login Page/Authentication Method

Hello Forum users,

This weekend we have gone live with a new method of authentication in the NI Discussion Forums. This change is setting us up to successfully log users in to both Forums and Community simultaneously in the future. This change should be vitrually invisible to you, but you may notice a new look when you are redirected to log into the Forums. Also, you will notice if you select the Logout button, you will now be logged out of the NI Discussion Forums as well as all of ni.com.

login.PNG

Note: If you currently log into the Forums with a saved bookmark, your bookmark should still work for now but that will be changing in the future. Please update your bookmark to use the new login link.

Thanks,

Jordan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 60
(8,507 Views)

I would certainly be pleased if the community finally logged me in automatically and didn't require logging in on a regular basis.

@JordanG wrote:

Note: If you currently log into the Forums with a saved bookmark, your bookmark should still work for now but that will be changing in the future. Please update your bookmark to use the new login link.

What's the new link? My current one is http://sine.ni.com/niforum/niforum?requireLogin=False&forumDU=http://forums.ni.com/

(8,495 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 60
(8,466 Views)

OK, the new link works, but it has a couple of problems:

1. It's noticeably slower. This is probably not a huge deal, but it is annoying.
  2. It doesn't have a favicon. The old link had the NI logo, which made it easier to spot.

(8,460 Views)

A big additional problem I saw on the PC where I tried the new link both earlier and now - after I log in using the link, going to other pages sometimes logs me out (or at least the page is displayed as if I'm not logged in). This happens when opening pages in a new tab (which I do often), but I also saw it when opening a page in the same tab.

This is a big deal, because once I'm logged in, I expect to stay that way. I rely on being logged in to function the way I want to.

(8,438 Views)

@tst wrote:

A big additional problem I saw on the PC where I tried the new link both earlier and now - after I log in using the link, going to other pages sometimes logs me out (or at least the page is displayed as if I'm not logged in). This happens when opening pages in a new tab (which I do often), but I also saw it when opening a page in the same tab.

This is a big deal, because once I'm logged in, I expect to stay that way. I rely on being logged in to function the way I want to.

This happened to me too when I tried it this morning (using Firefox, Windows 7 64-bit).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 60
(8,432 Views)

Jordan, the logout issue makes the new link too unusable, so I went back to the old one. Please check this with the relevant people and tell us if you need more feedback. I'm willing to try the new one again if there's an actual reason to.

(8,417 Views)

tst,

Can you give me an example of a page you view where you are being logged out? I've tried to reproduce this and when I visit other pages on ni.com I'm still logged into ni.com. 

Thanks,

Jordan

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 60
(8,405 Views)

I logged into the main forums page using the link and then went into the LV board (or any other board). The board loads, but sometimes (too many times) it loads as if I'm logged out. I've seen the same thing when going into a thread and when marking the board as read (i.e. I mark the board and I get an error telling me I can't do that. I think it was the "authentication failed" error).

I'm also on FF (18), but XP.

(8,400 Views)

I was seeing some weird behavior when testing using FF and had to clear my cache. After I cleared the cache, the issues went away. Can you please clear your cache and try using the new link and let me know if the behavior continues?

Jordan

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 60
(8,391 Views)