Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Developer Exchange Wishlist addition.

@Ben wrote:
Can you let us do that?

The word "us" should be defined...

and not confused with US-A. 😄 😉

---

more tomatoes...

where do they come from??

must be something I said...

hummm...

:?
Message 51 of 137
(7,559 Views)
ooops..

too late to edit...

I'm gonna get into trouble with Ben with posts like that 😄 😄 😄

oops 😉
Message 52 of 137
(7,559 Views)
Good point!

Well I would like a mecahnism that allowed us to get an anouncement up without getting a note from my mother.

Then what if we proposed an "anouncement" and we would need two or more seconds from XX3's (XXe = veteran anything)?

Of course Molly is not going to be able to implement that without some work.

Thank you for pointing out the potential for abuse.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 53 of 137
(7,523 Views)
Yes...

It would be something that could easily be abused... (even by Veterans??? -- not likely)

The thing is, you wouldn't want to have someone authorize the broadcast for every message...

But then again, the idea is to use this maybe once /week / month???

Interesting suggestion, though!

OR

how about having this feature only in the coffee shop??

nah...

definite abuse-city...

(just thinking ALOUD)

JLV

😄
Message 54 of 137
(7,526 Views)
Is the phrase "Coffee shop" the same as Cafe?

Seems the same to me, but Coffee shop seems quite American. I live in Europe, so I can't really be sure.

Apologies for the silly post.

Shane.

PS At least I KNOW this is a silly post. Posting what you think is a cool answer and turns out to be a stinker is a bit worse 😄
Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
Message 55 of 137
(7,520 Views)
"Is the phrase "Coffee shop" the same as Cafe?"

Exactly.

I do appreciate peoples listening to what I mean and not what I say.

Thank you Shane,

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 56 of 137
(7,514 Views)
I live in North-America and use the word Cafe'..
It's both something I drink and where I drink it..

Somthing like the word orange... 😄

😉

Being a francophone, I drink my "cafe'" black, no sugar and freshly steamed out of the machine..

Italians call it espresso... 😉

--- what a day today ---

-sigh-

I should grab another "cafe'"

And one for JP...
And one for CC...

??? what were we talking about ???
Message 57 of 137
(7,523 Views)
Actually, to anyone who has been to Holland or saw Pulp Fiction, a coffee shop is not quite like a cafe (I know, I know. They don't mention the words "coffee shop", but still...).

Molly (assuming you're reading this when you get back) - welcome back, or Boris, assuming she's not back yet and you have an answer - would it be possible to have an option to jump to the latest posts? I'm not talking about sorting posts by date, but about the ability to see the latest posts within their context. If someone has replied to a specific post in the middle of the thread I want to be able to jump directly to the middle of the thread and see that new post. Since each post already has a link to it, I'm hoping this would be possible to implement using the existing software. Here's a possible mechanism I have in mind - at the present, when you enter the board you can already see how many new posts exist in the thread. If it were possible to have a button or a drop down list to jump between them it would be nice. So let's say I go into a thread with 200 posts and someone posted a new message in the middle, I click "go to the latest posts" and I will be taken there. Then, after reading that post, I click "go to next post" and I am taken to next message posted. Hopefully, this was clear enough. If not, I'll be happy to elaborate.

(7,547 Views)
Let me seconds tst's request.

If you notice other users are already compensating for this by noting who they are replying to (please ignore dangling participal).

This could be partially alieviated by the side-bar option I mentioned in an earlier request.

Now let me ramble re: other random thoughts (I normally answer Q's on Sunday morning with coffee but there don't seem to be any stale Q's that look like fun.)

The "E idea" (where E = a word that starts with "E" and ends in "t" but is not = "Enthusiast")

This could not only be a good way of recognizing our "strong contributors" (read as "E"s) in various areas,
BUT,
could be an excellent (no not the E-word) method to develop our comunity!

Once we establish our initial set of E's (suggestions on how to do this are open to discusion) they could prowl the Exchange looking for new E's. The E's could then discuss the contributions by the new potetial E's and if three or more E's agree the new becomes a full fledged E!

If someone wanted to be concidered an E they could apply. The current E's in that area would review their answers. Until an applicant has grown into the role of full-fledged-E they could be marked as "E-wanabees". Their high rated answers should be forwarded to the existing E's for review.

This would help the existing E's track Q in their area and make sure questioners are getting the "good stuff".

The E's in an area could put together lists (if they wanted) that would help others become that type of E.

Stop and regroup on the above:
Aside from the changes to the Exchange to support E and E-wanabee applications and identification, all of the contributors go about their activities as they do now!

Next Step "Degrees of E"

Contributors are not done when the become an E in a particular area. They can become multi-disciplinary-E's. So a contributor could be a Performance-E and a GUI-E-wanabee at teh same time. Contributors could become second degree E's when they master two areas, etc.

When a person reaches fith degree E they become a Master E, and after Grand Master E!

The whole scheme mentioned above seems like a big win for everyone. What am I missing?

OK let's pretend this really happens, what are the areas of E possible?

I will list some areas that come to mind.

a)GUI
b)Performance
c)DAQ
d)FP
e)RealTime
f)MS Office
g)OS-Wondows (should this have sub-catagories? Access and PowerPoint are rather divers.)
h)OS-Mac
i)OS-Linux
j)OS-Unix (should Unix and Linux be one in the same?)
k)Math
l)Serial-Async
m)GPIB
n)Serial-Sync
o)Networking
p)Scripting (this is reserved for future use)
q)Internals (maybe part of Performance)
r)IMAQ
s)PDA
t)Architecture

Please add any I may have missed!

Q to reader: Do you think you could qualify for one of the above ares?

And of course there should be some decorations near the names. I suggest a unique icon for each area of E.

Now the hard part, "Who will be are initial E's?"

How about nominating others?

Who do we send nominations to?

Does 10 nominations sound good to get the E-thing going?

Am I the only person that thinks some of our contributors are E's?

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 03-13-2005 09:25 AM

Message Edited by Ben on 03-13-2005 09:26 AM

Message 60 of 137
(7,543 Views)