Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of vertical scrolling. Anyone else?

Starting today I am experiencing a weird behavior using chrome on the forum. At random times the vertical scrolling with the mouse buttons just stops working. I can roll the wheel as much as I want, but nothing happens, even though the page is larger than the window.

At the same time I can still scroll the page on different sites, or even scroll a LabVIEW diagram, so I doubt it is a hardware problem. If I completely close down chrome and re-open a forum page, scrolling works for a while, but then stops working again. Could there be some misplaced html code that disables scrolling?

Of course chrome got updated very recently, so maybe the problem is there....

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,128 Views)

Just noticed this this morning.  Could be a Chrome related update?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,077 Views)

Thanks for confirming.

Of course it could be "both", i.e. that the forum always had a bug related to this, but the chrome update honors it more strictly and thus exposes it. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,070 Views)

Hi everyone,

We have been investigating this, but we have not encountered the issue ourselves yet.

However, we did find the following information regrading the latest Chrome update:

https://blog.google/products/chrome/taking-aim-annoying-page-jumps-chrome/

Does this sound like the issue you are encountering?

The next time you are on a page in which you are unable to scroll, please be sure to copy the link and provide it to us so we can look into it.

Thanks,

Lili

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,062 Views)

My issue wasn't so much that the page was jumping or moving to anchors, it was that the scroll wheel just stopped working on that page.  Mine seemed very temporary and it has only happened twice now, and by changing the tab, changing back, and then clicking on the page to ensure focus, the wheel started worked again, I didn't need to close and reopen.  I do have multiple monitors so it is possible my window was front most on one monitor, but the focus was on the other which is why the scroll didn't happen, but one time when it happened I swear I had just closed a tab (thereby ensuring it had focus)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,056 Views)

This morning, I encountered the same problem on one other website, but I don't remember the link.

This afternoon, the forum scroll here has been working OK so far.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,053 Views)

Thanks for the extra information. Based on what we know about Chrome's new feature, perhaps you will see this occur on a page with an embedded image or video. Please let us know the next time you encounter it.

~~~~~~~~~
Message 7 of 9
(3,051 Views)

Hi Altenbach and everyone,

I think this is more specifically related when the page contains GIF images. To reproduce 100%, try the mouse vertical scroll in this page and you will observe the same.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/170/page/2/thread-id/1011767

[Edit: After my post, when i click the above link, the scroll works for me. This is strange.]

Mathan

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,043 Views)

Hi Mathan,

Thanks for the input. I was unable to reproduce the issue on the page you linked.

When you all are seeing this issue, did you happen to see the ni.com survey pop-up beforehand? Do you have the cookie notification at the bottom of the page? (ni.com has these elements as well.)

Thanks,

Lili

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,024 Views)