From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imaginative destination for "All forum topics" link

When viewing a pinned thread, the "All forum topics" link has sometimes very curious destinations!

In the Certification board, in the first pinned thread it points to page 2 of the board, in the second it points to page 3. In the following pinned threads corrctly points to page 1.

In the CVI forum, in the first pinned thread it points to page 11, in the second it points to page 115! Smiley Surprised

Page 2 for the first pinned thread in TestStand board, page 47 Smiley Frustrated for the second....

Destination page is hard-coded in the links; in all boards, in non-pinned threads the link operates correctly.

I haven't looked into other boards...

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(4,421 Views)

Ok I made a bit of exploration and the destination link is not casual: it points to the board page where the discussion started.

Nevertheless, in case of pinned threads the correlation with normal board message listing should not be considered: the concept itself of pinning a discussion is to put it away of normal sequence in order to have it always at hand, so in my opinion it should return to page 1 of the board (to the page I started it from if we want to push the boat out! If I was in page 115 return there, otherwise return to board main page).

(4,398 Views)

When a topic is pinned to the top of a forum board, it is still listed within the forum topics list in the normal location based on last post date. A topic may appear twice in the list because of this.

The "All Forum Topics" link within a forum topic will take you back to the page number that the topic exists on within a board. For example, if you had browsed to page 5 of a board, opened a topic, then clicked on All Forum Topics, you would be taken back to page 5.

In this situation, you're taken to seemingly odd page numbers because that is the actual page number where you would find those particular topics. In your first example, the topic hasn't been updated in 7 months. It's pinned to the top of the Certification board, but it is also further within the board because it's an older topic. If you go to page 2 of the board, you will find the topic "NI Certification seeking input" exists there as well.

I hope this helps clarify.

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,367 Views)

Lili, a you can see in my secondo post the rationale behind this choice is quite clear, but in my opinion it is in contrast with the choice to pin a thread: I understand that when I enter into a discussion from e.g. page 4 of a board I expect to come back to the same page.

Nevertheless, when I come into a topic pinned to page 1 I expect to come back to that page, regardless to the fact that depending on the thread activity the topic appears in page 3,10 or 53. This is because pinning a thread makes it so important as to appear in page 1 despite its activity.

It seems the ideal scenario is that pinned topics only appear at the top of a forum board, rather than appearing twice in the topic list. This would address the "All Forum Topics" button issue.

Either way -- the functionality would require a change in the platform as that is how it functions out-of-the-box.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,334 Views)

OK, keep us informed on if, when and how it will be addressed.

(4,320 Views)