Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum changes in 2012!

@Ray.R wrote:

I could see a "Like" button...  Maybe use the same button but rename it from "Me Too" to "Like".

Isn't that what the Kudos is for?

You know what I say? I say get rid of it all. Kudos, Like, Me Too, etc. It's all subjective anyway, and what is the point of having it on technical forums? This isn't Facebook.

Ummm... what was in the milk I had with my cereal this this morning?

Message 31 of 78
(8,313 Views)

@smercurio_fc wrote:

@Ray.R wrote:

I could see a "Like" button...  Maybe use the same button but rename it from "Me Too" to "Like".

You know what I say? I say get rid of it all. Kudos, Like, Me Too, etc. It's all subjective anyway, and what is the point of having it on technical forums? This isn't Facebook.

Inadequitly rinsed bowl with some SOPA left in it?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 32 of 78
(8,311 Views)

@smercurio_fc wrote:

@Ray.R wrote:

I agree.  There's already a Kudos button...

NI could simply track the number of kudos...

I could start a thread and say "I got up this morning.  Did anyone else get up?"  And a whole bunch of people could click on the "Me Too" button.  And what info is that giving NI?  The same useless data as Kudos.  It's not going to give more. 

What the heck.. I'll post something in Breakpoint to illustrate..

http://forums.ni.com/t5/BreakPoint/I-got-up-this-morning-Did-anyone-else-get-up-this-morning/td-p/18...

Since Kudos are linked to the colored bars, it would be harder to get rid of that one.  Plus kudos let's the author know that someone liked what he/she wrote..

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 78
(8,308 Views)

Ray.R wrote:

I don't get the sense that it refers to "I had the same problem... Thanks for sharing on this forum", which is what I assume is the intent of the button.

Correct use would be:

"I had a problem getting up this morning because I was programming almost all night"

"Me too!"

Message 34 of 78
(8,283 Views)

If the metoos are to try and ID what topics need FAQs there is a better way to find out.

Just ask us!

We know the forum and the types of question asked better than any statical thingy could ever reveal.

FAQ1

How do I create a variable in LV and how does it differ from every other langauge?

FAQ2

Same question but replace with the term global variable

FAQ3

How do I get started talking to a serial device in LabVIEW?

FAQ4

How do you spell LabVIEW?

FAQ5

How do I know if I have woken up today and how do I distinguish sleep from being dead?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 35 of 78
(8,255 Views)

@Ben wrote:

If the metoos are to try and ID what topics need FAQs there is a better way to find out.

Just ask us!

We know the forum and the types of question asked better than any statical thingy could ever reveal.

FAQ1

How do I create a variable in LV and how does it differ from every other langauge?

FAQ2

Same question but replace with the term global variable

FAQ3

How do I get started talking to a serial device in LabVIEW?

FAQ4

How do you spell LabVIEW?

FAQ5

How do I know if I have woken up today and how do I distinguish sleep from being dead?

Ben

Which of those are you authoring and which would you prefer I or another member authored?

Jordan- 

This is my thought process.

Community Nuggets are foundational to distributing knowledge

FAQ's are a logical extension. But not "general" FAQ's they SHOULD be NI product (read that as forum board) specific

Me Too's may help point the way to aid adoption of technology (and advancing the trade)

While certain forums (FAQ's) are unavailable to those without the benefits of the knowledge contained in them they are merely an exercise in narcisism.  Take it public-  the "Teacher gene" will be satisfied-  I know, and expect you know that FAQ's will need a "peer review" method to be effective.  We will need some avenue for this or NI will need to assume a position as a beneficial dictator (And fly directly against the philosophy that built these forums)

I have no clear and direct path I can suggest, and no means to impose it if I did.  But, if we are going to "Change" lets "Improve"  this should not be done by response to other forums- these are the NI forums! What VALUE to this community can be added? 

I will stand up and commit myself here and now.  I will participate in any manner with any group that CAN and DOES "Improve" these forums with one previso- (My familly has this tendentcy to eat most every day and sleep with a roof over their heads- I encourage this in them and have certain obligations in this regard - I gotta WORK too)

Me Too this!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 78
(8,245 Views)

FAQ6

How can I display a changing variable in a subvi on the front panel of the main vi as the subvi is excuting

as can be found in this thread.

I'll get around to writing them eventually.

I suspect I am just prejudges but I really prefer us to write them than NI. For some reason the NI's versions seem to miss something. It is hard to say what exactly.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 78
(8,228 Views)

@Ben wrote:

FAQ6

How can I display a changing variable in a subvi on the front panel of the main vi as the subvi is excuting

I suspect I am just prejudges but I really prefer us to write them than NI. For some reason the NI's versions seem to miss something. It is hard to say what exactly.

Ben

Nice first FAQ!

Until they are public writing them is narcissistic-  neither you nor I ( By that read no   Veteran, Enthusiast or Knight I know of)  deserves the tittle of narcasist of the week (yet, I come close sometimes, that is my failing) 

I did not mean to challenge your dedication but, point out a reason why FAQs does not work today.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 38 of 78
(8,217 Views)

@Jeff Bohrer wrote:

@Ben wrote:

FAQ6

Ben

Nice first FAQ!

Until they are public writing them is narcissistic-  neither you nor I ( By that read no   Veteran, Enthusiast or Knight I know of)  deserves the tittle of narcasist of the week (yet, I come close sometimes, that is my failing) 

I did not mean to challenge your dedication but, point out a reason why FAQs does not work today.

I have to admit that I do not understand that post but that sounds bad so I unvolenteer myself for writing the FAQ.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 39 of 78
(8,212 Views)
  1. I compare two numbers but it fails.
  2. My code only works in highlight exec mode.
  3. Are globals really evil? Smiley Surprised

You could probably find more in the BP thread where we discussed this.

(8,190 Views)