Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding unread discussions

Hello,

when I choose a specific forum, say Instrument Control or LabWindows/CVI, how can I find the threads I haven't read?

The very recent unread threads are listed in a box displayed on the upper right of my screen - but this works only for recent threads - how can I find older unread threads?

On http://forums.ni.com/ below the 'Top Kudoed Authors' there is a list of 'Unread Discussions', but this list refers to all NI forums - while I am interested only in unread discussions of a specific forum.

Also, using search or advanced search I found no way to achieve this goal.

Thanks...

Wolfgang

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(7,334 Views)

Hi Wolfgang,

The following links will take you to the unread discussions of the two boards you cited in your post:

In order to generate the URL's to all unread posts of a specific board, you will need to use the following generic URL, and simply replace the bID# with the ID number of the board you want to view:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/forums/unreadpostspage/board-id/bID#/post-type/thread

You can find the bID# value by navigating to your board of interest from the main landing page and then grabbing the value from the URL right after bd-p/.

For example,

boardID.png

Also, on a simpler note, if you just navigate to the board itself, there should be an Unread Discussions widget on the right that will take you to unread posts in that board.

Hope this helps!

Stephanie R.
National Instruments
Message 2 of 11
(7,311 Views)

Hi,

thanks for your reply. However, the two links you have provided do not resolve my question: clicking on the 'Unread CVI Threads' link displays zero unread discussions - I assume simply because there are no recent unread discussions. But there are about 20000 new (= unread) posts, at least according to the overview given here: http://forums.ni.com/

I'd like to be able to move to the most recent new/unread post, even if it is a year old...

Thanks,

Wolfgang

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(7,299 Views)

@srdfrn wrote:

Also, on a simpler note, if you just navigate to the board itself, there should be an Unread Discussions widget on the right that will take you to unread posts in that board.

Hope this helps!

Hm, it doesn't work for me...

Here is the main forum view which correctly claims that there are about 20000 unread discussions in the CVI forum:

all.jpg

Now, what I would expect is something like this, showing the GPIB forum:

gpib.jpg

However, navigating to the CVI forum, there is no such 'Unread Discussion' widget, because (I suppose) the unread discussions are not recent unread discussions but older unread discussions....

cvi.jpg

So let me reiterate my question: How can I find older unread threads?

Thanks.....

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(7,230 Views)

Hi Wolfgang,

I do see the behavior you referenced on my end, as well.  I have submitted a request to the vendor because I believe you are right -- this is not expected behavior.  I'll keep you updated by posting back to this thread when I hear back. 

Thank you again for your notification on this matter -- and I apologize for the inconvenience!

Stephanie R.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(7,219 Views)

No need to apologize Smiley Wink Instead many thanks for taking care!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(7,212 Views)

Hi Wolfgang,

We have heard back from Lithium about this matter.  They were looking into it for quite some time because apparently NI hasn't been the only community that saw such strange behavior with the unread messages feature.  Apparently this has been confirmed as a bug, and has been escalated to the developers so they can research a fix.  As of now, they do not have a release date for the patch.

Thank you again for your feedback!

Stephanie R.
National Instruments
Message 7 of 11
(7,125 Views)

Thanks for the update!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(7,116 Views)
Hello,

it appears that this functionality is still broken... Smiley Sad

srdfrn wrote:

Hi Wolfgang,

We have heard back from Lithium about this matter.  They were looking into it for quite some time because apparently NI hasn't been the only community that saw such strange behavior with the unread messages feature.  Apparently this has been confirmed as a bug, and has been escalated to the developers so they can research a fix.  As of now, they do not have a release date for the patch.

Thank you again for your feedback!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(6,995 Views)

Is there room for hope to have this bug fixed? It's going to celebrate its anniversary Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 11
(6,873 Views)