Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you use the mobile version of the Forums?

Hi all,
There have been multiple threads started over the past few years with praises, complaints, and comments about the mobile version of the NI Discussion Forums, but I just want to know... do you personally ever use this version?

If yes, from which device do you use the mobile version?
If no, is there a need for our mobile version anymore?
Would you prefer to use it over the full site version if there were a few more key features (floated boards, edit posts, mobile login experience, unread message indication, etc.)?
Which key feature would you want to see implemented first?

Thanks for the feedback, as always!
Jordan
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 51
(10,951 Views)

I do occasionally from an android device. A discussion app would make life much easier tho

Please remember to accept any solutions and give kudos, Thanks

LV 8.6.1, LV2010,LV2011SP1, FPGA, Win7
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 51
(10,939 Views)

I am using a galaxy nexus (Android 4.1 jelly bean) and the chrome for android browser.

I am using the full desktop site, not the mobile version and most everything works fine.

With a full 1280x720 super amoled screen, I have a higher resolution than some netbooks, so using the mobile site seems silly. I am used to the full site and it is much easier if I have a consistent UI when switching from PC to phone and vice versa. The mobile site is also too limiting and I can never find my way around.

The mobile site would make some sense on very simple, low resolution (notso)smartphones or with very limited data plans, but these things are getting rare.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 51
(10,934 Views)

Nope.  Occasionally look through here on my DX2, all the links/bookmarks I have to the forums are appended with device-view=desktop.  

In general, i'm not a fan of "mobile" skins, and even less of sites that don't give you an option to switch to desktop view.  Very few sites do a mobile skin well.  That and I usually know where everything is on the full site, some things get buried in a minimalistic mobile skin.

Protip: Rather than using "bookmarks" (with all the associated provider-installed crap you can't remove), put together an HTML page and stick it on the phone's drive somewhere.  Browse to it with file:///mnt/sdcard/webpages/index.html (or wherever you put it) and make that your start page.  You can plop down images, dropdowns, tables, local and remote content...

And since I like pictures...

One tap on the "labview forums" in the lower left gets me here:

Message 4 of 51
(10,899 Views)

I Do use my Andriod to view the forums.   I prefer to view the forums in the "Full" version for the consistant views I am familliar with and because the Mobile version does not show embedded images.  The Mobile version is fairly useless for responding to posts with code snippets and, of course, I can't open an attached VI  (Hmmmmm... VI VIewer for mobile app!)

I do however, switch to the Mobile version to respond to posts on my android.  It is necessary since I have only a vitrual keypad and the dratted keypad does not show when I "Reply" from the Full version. Smiley Frustrated

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 51
(10,868 Views)

My phone is smart enough to make phone calls and to display the time.

Somehow I do not feel any overwhelming urge to stay connected to the Forums at all times and places.  Sorry.

Lynn

Message 6 of 51
(10,852 Views)

Same for me Smiley Wink

Also I feel that there are enough issues with the regular version that might be improved...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 51
(10,848 Views)

I do use the mobile version occasionally.

If you're viewing the mobile version, and you switch to the full version, how do you get back to the mobile version?  I did this once and the only solution I could find was to delete all my cookies (the mobile device I used doesn't let you select for which sites), which was not ideal.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 51
(10,831 Views)

There is a switch link on the verry bottom of each page

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 51
(10,828 Views)

@nathand wrote:

If you're viewing the mobile version, and you switch to the full version, how do you get back to the mobile version?

Home page, down at the very bottom, "Version: Mobile | Full"...

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 51
(10,822 Views)