Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comments/Questions on New Layout

Sadly, i am not permitted to create new threads on most of the forum, so i have to add it here:

In many countries of the world, people are used to read from left to right and from top to bottom.

So i would expect the most current and most important stuff to be placed top left on the monitor; however, the new layout places the navigation and "meta information" (like kudo top list) on the left. In the previous version it was on the right (which i would expect except maybe the navigation tree).

Is there an option to make positioning of boxes customizable/resizable? I think that such a feature would solve at least some of the  feedback in this thread.....

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 51 of 174
(1,101 Views)

@Norbert_B wrote:

Is there an option to make positioning of boxes customizable/resizable? I think that such a feature would solve at least some of the  feedback in this thread.....

Apply your own custom stylesheets to the page to replace the default one? Smiley Very Happy

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 52 of 174
(1,095 Views)

I like the new layout. It's going to be a little quirky getting used to all the changes but overall my first impressions are very good. I especially like the font and size. I can reduce my zoom and still read the content. Lots of white space. Very clean and organized. I may have a gripe later but it's probably already been addressed. So far so good.

Thanks for your effort.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 53 of 174
(1,078 Views)

@X. wrote:

@RavensFan wrote:

I never noticed the color wasn't much different.  You're right.  I was just visually going by the number itself going up by one and that fact it was severely delayed.

Actually, on my screen, the color looks identical.  The difference is that if I had kudoed the post, the count number turns blue, while it is black if I have not.  Which is a pretty subtle difference in itself.

I think there is a hue change from the bottom to the top of the page (slightly darker hence orange at the top, lighter hence yellow at the bottom). This to match the background gradient I suppose...

Interesting.  I see what you are talking about.  But I'm not sure there is an actual color change because of the page styling, or it is just an artifact of looking at the page on an LCD screen.  Actually, I'm now sure it is an artifact of the LCD screen.  I put the kudo button so it showed in a small window and move the window from bottom to top of my screen without doing any scrolling.  The color seemed darker at the top.  It can't be page styling gradients because I didn't change the content within the window by way of scrolling.

0 Kudos
Message 54 of 174
(1,068 Views)

Am I missing something?

I used to be abel to see how many new posts to a thread and click on something to go righ to the new posts.

Did we loose both or am I just not looking the right place?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 55 of 174
(1,056 Views)

@Ben wrote:

Am I missing something?

I used to be abel to see how many new posts to a thread and click on something to go righ to the new posts.

Did we loose both or am I just not looking the right place?

Ben

This was almost the first thing discussed in this thread. 

RavensFan wrote

2.  How do you know how many new messages are in a thread?  The new message count was handy in seeing which ones had lots of activity since I last read them, and which did not.  This point also ties into #3 below.

3.  How do you jump to the first unread message?  I could click on the New number and have it jump to the first unread message in that thread and begin reading the new stuff right away.  I don't see a way to do that in the new layout.  Also, going back to number 2 above, I don't know how many new messages there are to be able to count back messages to see where to begin.  Not knowing if there is one or a lot, I don't see how to know for a long thread whether I should jump to page 2 or perhaps a page 4 to begin reading the new messages.

Lilli replied

2. We may be able to add this column back to the board listing.

3. Go to My Settings (now found under your username/avatar menu) > Preferences > Linear Layout > choose Jump to first unread post in a topic

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 56 of 174
(1,050 Views)

I'd also like it to be known that you can add a tally for me next to the following complaints

• No Floated Boards
  • No New Messages column
  • Everything is too big
  • Navigation/Metadata stuff on the left instead of the right (especially egregious in LabVIEW Idea Exchange where even individual threads afflicted with this)
  • I'm sure there were others...

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 57 of 174
(1,048 Views)

First time back since the change, and "Aaaaaccckk!"  First thought was "Is my link broken? What's going on here..."

Most of my comments have already been covered... things like "Wow, why is everything so huge?", "There's a lot of white space on here that could be used for content...", "Where are the floated boards?". 

I understand there's a learning curve to it, but wow ... seems like a big step backwards. 

Pic from this weekend unrelated... "getting high" (12350 ft plus 80-ish up the tower).

0 Kudos
Message 58 of 174
(1,036 Views)

@Wolfgang wrote:

I don't know what causes the changes from day to day, now all posts with unread or no unread messages look the same, no difference in bold / normal font, just like the first day - the change for the better seen yesterday seems to be gone. I am not aware of having done anything differently...

Are you using a different web browser or laptop or monitor?

Norbert_B wrote: Is there an option to make positioning of boxes customizable/resizable? I think that such a feature would solve at least some of the  feedback in this thread.....

No, unfortunately there is no customization like that.

@RavensFan wrote:
But I'm not sure there is an actual color change because of the page styling, or it is just an artifact of looking at the page on an LCD screen.

Must just be the monitor. There should be no gradients or color changes in the layout.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 59 of 174
(1,034 Views)

Sorry I might have missed if this has been discussed, but there needs to be another link to go back to the forum.

Currently we need to click on the "breadcrumbs" or on the "all forum topics" link near the top right.

For completeness, we should also be able to click on the forum name header (currently marked as "not a link")  to go back to that same place.

See image:

Message 60 of 174
(1,027 Views)