FOUNDATION Fieldbus

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-8486 H1 Fieldbus LED

I just received my USB-8486.  I have a pretty simple question.  When should the H1 Fieldbus LED come on?  My first thought is that when you pug into the segment assuming it is powered up.  I could find much about the LED and just want to know what the light means exactly.  By the way mine is not coming on when connected to the segment.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(9,194 Views)

Hi TH21,

When USB-8486 is connect the host PC (or a cRIO target), the lower orange USB LED should be lit as it's powered.

When the Communication Manager is started (booted), the upper green H1 Fieldbus LED should be lit.

If there are H1 comunications going on in the segment, the upper green H1 Fieldbus LED will blink.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(9,189 Views)

So if my light does not come I can assume there is a problem with my hardware?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(9,180 Views)

Hi TH21,

None of the LEDs are lit? And you have connected to both H1 network and PC?

Try to find the USB-8486 in ICU after replugging it in.

If not, see if it turns up in Window's Device Manager.

As debug, try to see if there is a question mark (unrecognized device) over National Instruments Fieldbus Interfaces - USB-8486. If so, try uninstall->scan for hardware change->and then reinstall it.

If you saw nothing or these steps are still to vain, I think then it's a hardware problem, in which case please contact your local NI sales.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(9,174 Views)

Let me be a little more detailed.  I get the USB light and it also shows up in device manager and when I open up the software.  It sees the device.  It does not however see the H1 network nor does the H1 light turn on.  I have tried it on various working networks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(9,167 Views)

Hi TH21,

1. Make sure the property for USB-8486 is set correctly. Open NI-FBUS Interface Configuration Utility, open the property of the port, check if the paramters makes sense.

Refer to the attached screenshot. (Meaning of each parameter can be found in either the documents or FF spec).

2. Make sure you have run NI-FBUS Communication Manager before you open Configurator and it succeeded. There should be information like:

01. Preparing Initializaiton ... Successful
02. Initializing Board 0, Port 0 [USB] ... Successful
03. Configuring NI-FBUS Communications Manager ... Successful
04. NI-FBUS Communications Manager started successfully.

3. You chose when creating new project the right link where this USB interface is located. If you are not using a cRIO target, it should be under My System.

4.  Make sure the positive and negative wires for the interface card are wired correctly and fast to the power hub.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(9,154 Views)