FOUNDATION Fieldbus

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a Fieldbus configurator software ?

Solved!
Go to solution

I´m beginning to learn about Fieldbus  Foundation and I would like to develop a simple Visual Basic application to automate the calibration of analog input of fieldbus instrument, for instance,  set  1 Volt with a standard in the analog input of fieldbus instrument and read the value displayed by the instrument using NI-FBUS  API and my Visual Basic program.

Do I need to buy a NI-Configurator  for this simple fieldbus H1 network with just single field device and and NI USB-8486 interface ?  

It´s not clear to me if I need a configurator  , for instance , with a new Fieldbus instrument  that requires to adjust some parameters with NI-Configurator  before using NI-FBUS Communications Manager API in my Visual Basic Program.

I saw some old messages that you sell a configurator API. Do you still sell this API ?  

My intention, if possible , is to build an application that does not require  to install a fieldbus configurator software.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(13,434 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rsaat

NI-FBUS software is consisted of two components, Communications Manager (CM) and Configurator.

CM provides basic APIs for accessing FF network.  You can build your own Foundation Fieldbus application with the APIs.

Configurator is a full-feature graphical tool for complete configuration. You do not need to build application.

The CM APIs (VB, VC, C#, VB.Net) support the following basic configuration tasks.

- List interface, device, function blocks

- Read device/block tag

- Read and write the paramters by name or index

- Read alert and trend data

I think the APIs are sufficient for the your simple VB application.

You may need to use Configurator if you require the following features.

- Get and set device address

- Set device/block tag

- Configurator and download Function Block Application schedule

Feilian (Vince) Shen
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(13,426 Views)

In continuation, what is needed if I want to develop, a configuration software and have features like scheduling and downloading and configuring? Could you please point/guide regarding this?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(12,752 Views)

NI-FBUS Configurator is a configuration software, and it doesn't support any APIs to let you do the secondary development. I am afraid that we cannot implement your own download configuration software using current NI-FBUS software. However, you can use NI-FBUS Configurator directly.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(12,734 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

We already are using NI Configurator, we are very happy with its performance and other options similar. This is in view of a requirement from customer to integrate into his DCS/automation software that we need these features. Looks like there is no go, is there?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(12,730 Views)

I would also like to have more advanced configuration functions like changing tag and address with NI-FBUS API.

Maybe you could create an automation Interface , like Word or Excel in NI-Configurator where we could automate configuration tasks from our custom fieldbus application. At least we could offer some option to our clients reselling NI-Configurator.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(12,722 Views)

if i want to change the display value of pressure transmitter how would i change that using NI Configurator, pls explain me in detail

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(10,004 Views)